1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Hard Decision Regarding A Bass Choice.. What Say You/

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DanBass, Dec 5, 2012.

1. DanBass

DanBass Supporting Member

I will preface this by saying that I know it boils down to personal preference, feel, sound, etc. It all comes down to the player.

That said, I am in a financial pickle and toying with unloading one of my basses, although after weeks of thinking I am still at a stalemate regarding which one to keep and which one to sell.

As I mentioned, any insight, future value potential would be helpful in my process. (whatever the hell process that may be.. haha) :meh:

1) MIJ Fender, Geddy Jazz.. black, pearloid pickguard.. maple neck

2) MIA 90's Fender Jazz Plus - Kubicki electronics - maple neck

I love me some maple necks, yes I do. :ninja:

Quite honestly, I love them both.. but finances may dictate selling one. I play indie, british pop-like stuff if that matters...

If you were in a store, and the lights and buzzers went off and over the intercom it said "CONGRATULATIONS!! You get to pick one these as your own.. What one do you point to and pick? :bassist:

Again, I realize that each person may have a different opinion, or different take on the feel, or sound, but figured I would toss it out there.

Thanks!

L8r
    DB

2. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

I would go with the Geddy due to the playability of the neck. Electronics I could change, adjust, bit by bit as I tinkered with it. But that neck....you either have it or you don't.

3. chef wong

chef wong Banned

I'd hang on to the Jazz Plus. The one I played was easily the best Fender I've ever had, especially because of the electronics. Another point to mention is hardly anybody plays the Jazz Plus. You could make it "your thing".

After moving on to much greater things(Alembic)...I can't say I miss my Plus. But, as far as mass production instruments go the Jazz Plus is the beez kneez.

4. Mola Ram

Mola Ram

Geddy's have blocks...I'm a sucker for blocks.

If the Jazz plus also has them...then I'm zero help.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. India_Sierra

India_Sierra

I'd go for the one with the Kubicki electronics. The Kubicki stuff is some of the best in the business!

7. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

While I'm not a big worrier about country of manufacture, many are. if you're worried about future resale value, keep the MIA. If you want the most cash now, sell the MIA.

But that's completely ignoring the sound, playability, emotional connection and a million other factors!

8. chef wong

chef wong Banned

The Jazz Plus basses don't sell for much used. You would probably get more money from selling the Geddy.

9. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

Geddy no contest. Not a fan of the Jazz Plus

10. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    I'd keep the Geddy forever and not sell it. They don't make them in Japan anymore and there will always be at least a number of MIA Fender Jazz models to be had.

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.

The Jazz Plus is definitely more rare. I would keep that.

There are so many CIJ Geddys out there that I wouldn't worry about not being able to replace it down the road.

12. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Everyone and their mom has/wants a Geddy. I'd either keep the J+ or sell that and put a preamp in the GL when you've got some more cash.

13. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant Supporting Member

I don't prefer J basses. But if I did, I'd keep the MIJ Geddy.

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

This - as long as both played well...

- georgestrings