Hard rock: SVT610HLF vs SVT810e

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by krovx, Nov 25, 2013.

1. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Been reading the past few days and just can't decide. I need a bass cab, problem is I haven't used a huge one in a while. ( 4-5 years). My last huge cab was a Mesa PH1000. I would prefer to go with all 10s this time. ( Even though the idea of a 2x15 or 4x15 would be sweet...even have kicked around a 4x12 but the prices are expensive given my budget) I wish I could just go test them side by side, but I can't.

I will be running a Carvin B800 but might be bypassing it with a VT Bass preamp. On paper, I like the idea of the 610HLF. Smaller, more lows, etc. However, the reviews are not that favorable here. Perhaps you geezers are just stuck on your sealed 810 sound :bag: I kid ;)

I like the low end of 15s, so I wonder if the 610 would be nice for me. However, people say the 810 has more punch and cuts in the mix better. I like that the 810 doesn't have a tweeter. I will be playing BEAD and need the cab to handle the B of course. ( worried that the HLF might get farty)

I can get a 610 for $399 or an 810e for $449. I have primarily used Mesa cabs in the past but I have nothing against Ampeg, and the price is just too good. I have a budget around 500 bucks and for the money think it would be hard to pass up either one of these.

:help:
  2. alembicguy

alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner Supporting Member

Been using a SVT thru a 610 for years and loving it. I have also ran it thru the 810 and loved that also. The 610 was just a little easier to handle load in and out wise. My 2 cents.
  3. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Thanks for the reply. What essential differences would you say you notice? Or is it a matter than you can get a similar sound out of either, it is just more of a nuance thing, that someone like me probably couldn't notice?
  4. inri222

inri222

I have played through both and this is why I prefer the 810. IMO a much tighter and focused sound.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wmheilma

wmheilma

I had an Ampeg 8x10 and loved it except for moving it around. I still use one at the practice studio that is new but sounds just like my old one did. Very nice big sound with lots of punch, but if you like to hear aggressive treble you have to dial it up on the amp or use an active bass. I own an SWR Goliath Sr. that goes lower and has a tweeter, but is not as punchy as the fridge. Also it does not have the same bluesy grit at 900hz.
    I also tricked up a Marshall 4x12 cab for bass and got a decent result. I replaced the drivers, added batting, and improved the bracing. I got the cab for $100 then spent about $350 on drivers and batting. Check out Avatar for a good price on a bass 4x12!
  7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

I always found the 610hlf was more finicky depending on the room. I miss my 810.
  8. MSGNoff

MSGNoff

Not sure if this helps, but I had an 810E (pre-China made) and an 410HLF and preferred the 810E "in the mix". The 410HLF sounded awesome solo, but I could never get it to stand out, or keep up with the 2 Marshall 1/2 stacks the G****sts were using. However, the 810 is a pig to lug around.
  9. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I went from the 810e to two 410he cabs and then after the rest of the band went from half stacks to 212 rigs i went to a single 410he. Id rather have two 410he cabs over an 810. I can get the same tone and its easier to move not to mention i can fit my rack and both 410 cabs in my car(one in the trunk, one in the back seat) the 810 won't fit. I play a 7 string with a low f# and it always makes me laugh when people say the 410he doesn't go low enough. The only thing i can think of is they look at frequency ratings online instead of listening with their ears. The ported cabs just add "boom" they are actually harder to hear onstage than the tighter sound you get with the 810e and the 410he. The mic signal from all the ampeg classic 10" loaded cabs are pretty close. So unless your playing hip hop without a pa i don't recommend one of the 610 or 410hlf
  10. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer

I've only ever used either cab as part of a backline, but I immensely preferred the 810e. It just was better sounding overall and fit in the mix much better than the hlf.
  11. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Technically those SVT-610 and SVT-810 are quite different. The 610 has less "voicing" and gives a more accurate reproduction your playing and sound. The 810 lacks a lot of lows and has no tweeter = reduced frequency range. IME, the 810 also start to compress rather early, thereby further masking/transforming dynamics.
    Interestingly, a lot of the tonal difference is due to the different enclosure designs; the "tight" 810 with its design based on the guitar speakers it used in the 60's can to some extent be copied through the 610, given that one dials back lows and tweeter a lot, adds some mids and perhaps a bit of upper bass.
    However, the 810 can (IME) not really acheive the "bloom", dynamics and sheer output in the lows of the 610 and never gets as "clean" in the mids either (plus the lack of a tweeter). Cranking the lows through an 810 to make up for its high roll-of also makes the cab sound very colored, IME.
    There is no way I would trade my two SVT-410HLFs for an 810. I have gigged the 810 occasionally as provided backline but in every case my own rig would have been better for me. YMMV, etc.
  12. moff40

moff40

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses
    For me, it's the exact opposite. I got rid of my 410HLF in favour of the 810AV. I'm a rock guy, so I don't slap much (although I do on occasion), and I HATE horns in bass cabinets. I used to turn the one in the HLF off. Yes, the 410HLF goes lower, but along with "feeling" what I'm playing, I also like to hear the actual notes, so the more focussed mids of the 810 are more to my liking. I have to admit to never having used the 610HLF.

The counter-intuitive thing is that the 810 is actually easier to move. Where the 410 required a lift into my vehicle, the 810 is just tip-and-slide.
  13. wmheilma

wmheilma

Really good point about the 'tip and slide.' If your vehicle is big enough that works great!
  14. liquid sunshine

liquid sunshine

I own the 610 and have played through an 810 a fair amount. I find the 610 to have a tighter sound overall. While you can get a lot of low end it dosen't seem to have the room filling super low over tone type of sound that the 810 has. I have been to soooooooooo many shows where the bass ruins the sound of the band because all i hear is big muddy lows. Since it matters i am talking about shows where the only thing miced is the vocal and maybe kick. So we can't blame sound guys .
  15. liquid sunshine

liquid sunshine

also the 610 fits in my Corolla and fit in my Accord
  16. Sartori

Sartori

I've tried both of them. I like the 810E much better.
  17. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Now I think you guys made it more complicated, lol

I was looking at that cab but for the price I would rather get something used. Hear mix things about the B412 since it is a guitar cab with different speakers.

Funny, I get this. It is like me playing a P bass and a J bass. Prefer the solo sound of a J, but the P sounds better in the mix. My buddy has a 410HLF that he is going to let me borrow it to check out. Hopefully that will help.

I would prefer two 410s for the same purpose. I have a Ford Taurus, makes loading cabs a pain. My drummer and other guitarist have SUVs and Minivans so the fridge wouldn't be a huge problem. I was thinking price wise to do two Carvin 410s.

Keep the info coming guys. I think playing the HLF will help a bit. My drummer loves the 810e, so he is pushing me in that direction. I told him he has to transport it, lol
  18. inri222

inri222

The only thing that keeps me from getting one (810e) is the fact that it would have to go in my basement.
    It's bad enough getting my SWR Goliath Sr 610 (which IMO is better than the Ampeg 610hlf) up the stairs.
  19. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    810 for me please.

To my ear, every 610HLF I've played sounds like it has a blanket over it. Muddy and the mids aren't right...never sound clear. SWR and Mesa both make much better 610's. They don't have to sound "modern" if you don't want them to, just that you can hear more detail in the mids, they aren't "cloudy" or "covered up" like the 610HLF. Both of those run louder than the Ampeg as well.

The sealed Ampeg 810 though just works for rock.
  20. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

I would second the 2x410he.
  21. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

I seriously think I would just keep it in my garage, lol

Now to be fair, I am playing more on the metal side. Drop A, and even flirting with the idea of F# 0. Would the 810 still be good for this?