1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

"hard soul" coninued

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by lexington125, Feb 14, 2014.

1. lexington125

lexington125

A follow-up to the thread from a couple of months ago where I asked about "rockin' soul music'. Today's variation - hard rockin soul songs from the 60s that did NOT become hits. In other words, songs similar to Sam & Dave's "Wrap it Up" that was a b-side back then and later became a hit for the T-birds. I've uncovered a few harder edged soul songs from back then that never became popular, but just a few.

Using Stax for an example, it seems that for some strange reason, the harder rockin tunes either became hits, or just were never recorded. There are countless ballads and mid-tempo numbers that remain obscure but the rockin stuff seems to either become popular or it doesn't exist. why is that???

in the last couple of months, I've probably spent well over 100 hours checking out b-sides and obscure album tracks looking for the next 'soul man' or 'hard to handle' - and they just ain't out there. Countless slow or mid-tempo songs that I have never heard previously, but any uptempo songs were either hits the first time around, or they were uncovered at some point in the ensuing decades and made into modern hits. The hard hitting song that hasn't been made popular is one rare item. (see eddie floyd's "hobo" for one obvious example) funny how that works......