1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Hard time choosing first bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FleaAndTimmyC, May 8, 2011.

1. FleaAndTimmyC

FleaAndTimmyC

I really like the sounds of Flea and Tim Commerford. I want the bass to be good for those sounds and also be versatile. The basses i'm considering are: Squier vintage modified jaguar special HB or a squier deluxe active jazz bass iv. The jaguar says it has HB pickups, what does that mean? both say that they have active 3 band EQ. What does that mean? Which bass would you reccomend?

2. knucklehead G

knucklehead G

The HB pickup is humbucking, which means it isn't going to make any buzzing noises when you aren't playing. The 3-band EQ lets you raise / lower your bass, treble and mids frequencies, making it more versatile. Know that a EQ means you need batteries in the bass.

The Vintage Modified series are great basses, and with Flea's technique I think the Jaguar HB would get you closest.

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Doesn't the vintage modified have a P bass pup and a J pup? Seeme like the perfect combination for Flea and Tim Commerford to me.

4. mcm

mcm

always start with the basics, get a pbass imo

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JoZac21

JoZac21

I'm all about active 5 strings, but I think in your case the Jag is more like what you're after.

7. masturbasser

masturbasser

In my ignorant opinion a passive PJ 4-stringer is the perfect first bass. Versatile tones and will let you figure out what you like.

8. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Another vote for the Jaguar! Though I personally would go for some kind of jazz bass... Flea plays a jazz on all of stadium arcadium and Tim C uses Fender jazzes on 90% of his material.

9. FleaAndTimmyC

FleaAndTimmyC

Did they use active basses?

10. JoZac21

JoZac21

Flea used a lot of actives... I don't think YTimK did... but I may be wrong.

11. FleaAndTimmyC

FleaAndTimmyC

So do you think that the deluxe active jazz iv would be a good choice?

12. JoZac21

JoZac21

If it were me, I'd get the Active IV (actually, I'd get the active V)... but my vote still goes to the Jag for you. They're well made instruments and the PJ configuration is extremely versatile, and since you're a beginner, IMO, it's a better idea to get a versatile bass (especially on w. a P pup) since you're not yet entirely sure what you're going to wind up doing with it.

My main basses are both active (a 5 string and a 6 string)... I have them set up to achieve the tone that, through much experimentation, I've come to discover I like. My first (good) bass was a Fender Jaguar bass, and it was a solid instrument... and strangely, I usually run it passive lol.

13. FleaAndTimmyC

FleaAndTimmyC

I dont think that the HB jag is a pj bass. They have a pj type one but it doesnt have the three band EQ. Which should I get?

14. Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Isn't the Jag shortscale, though? IMO it's better to start on a standard scale (34", maybe 35") bass, unless you have a very specific reason for wanting a shortscale right away (e.g. you want to play surf music, you have tiny hands, you're a kid with not enough arm reach for the low frets...).

Of the two you mentioned, I'd recommend the Jazz Bass, it's one of the immortal classics that you can play any genre on and never have anyone question your choice.

15. cnltb

cnltb

16. JoZac21

JoZac21

Oh wow... I didn't know they were making one w. a MM style pup... hmm... that canges everything lol.

Have you considered the Vintage Modified Jazz? IME, they're insanely good instruments for the price, and the place where the two bassists you mentioned overlap is in their use of Jazzes. I'm a little skeptical of the Squire active stuff... how good can the preamp be? I'd buy one, but the pre-amp would be replaced almost right away. Check out the Vintage Modified Jazz... you won't be disappointed.

17. delucajohn2000

delucajohn2000 Supporting Member

Tim used a Music Man Stingray on the first RATM cd so that was definitely an active bass.

18. Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Okay, I'm an idiot, the Jag is standard scale. I still recommend the J, on the basis that it's been proven to work time and time again, and that I find the Jag ugly.

(also, that's more expensive but consider an Ibanez SR500)

19. FleaAndTimmyC

FleaAndTimmyC

Ok

20. jnevi9nr

jnevi9nr

same question from other thread, same answer:

I'm a big fan of both of these cats, like many on TB. I think for your first bass, you should get a 4 string fender squier bass. musicmans are a little more expensive and active and 5 string basses are a little more expensive. they both have played musicmans and fender jazz basses.

Squier® Guitars by Fender®: The Official Website

Its a P/J bass, so you have both those options, but it also has a jazz neck, which is thinner than the P bass. Its basically a jazz bass, with the P pickup for added tonal flexibility. Don't worry about it being a passive bass. you can get some pedals afterwards that will help add different tones to it, like the Tech 21 BDDI pedal mentioned above. You also most likely dont want a short scale. Most starter priced basses are 34", bolt on, passive 4 string basses. I think its best to learn on the industry standard, which is fender.