1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Hardcover or Paperback

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BioDriver, Jan 6, 2013.

Hard or paper

Poll closed Jan 16, 2013.
  1. Hardcover

23 vote(s)
    48.9%
  2. Paperback

14 vote(s)
    29.8%
  3. Don't care

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  4. Carrotback

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story Supporting Member

Simple question - do you prefer hardcover or paperback books? Or do you not care one way or the other?

2. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Hardbacks.

While I read more paperbacks, I love having nice quality hardbacks. I'm bad for not selling books, so my shelves are covered and hardbacks (at least, decent quality hardbacks) look awesome.

Though on saying that, recently got a kindle.

3. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Hardback = vinyl
    Paperback = CD
    e-book = MP3

Despite the analogy, its the content that REALLY matters.

I just wish my Far Side and Calvin&Hobbes annuals were hardbacks, not the tatty, dog-eared mess they are today!

4. carl h.

carl h.

Don't care, but most reading these days is via Kindle.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Hardcover is nice, but I'll be honest: If the choice is between a hardcover and a paperback, I'll usually save the extra money and buy the paperback. The exception would be something like a reference book that will get used a bit and, therefore, I'd see a lot of utility in having a hardcover.

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

If I'm buying a book to keep, it'll be hard cover. I have quite a few, but not all of Stephen Kings books in hard cover. Most are first editions as well, but with the numbers of them published, I doubt that means anything.

For reading in bed, I actually prefer the size and weight of soft cover books.

8. line6man

line6man

If you refer to a book frequently, then hardcovers are nice. Otherwise, paperbacks cost less, and thus, I prefer them.

I despise paperback textbooks, though. I had one once that was not bound. Just hundreds of pages of loose paper in a three-ring binder. :eyebrow:

9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Hard backs aren't as easy to read as paperbacks, IME. I like being able to fold the front cover all the way back.

10. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Yep, paperback textbooks are a pain in the hoop.

Sadly, most of mine are paperback as they were only published in paperback (or at least we could only find them in paperback) :(

11. nutso42

nutso42

Mainly hardbacks.

However, for some reason I prefer SF novels in paperback.

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

I had a couple of those in grad school. They were still pretty expensive; although from what I understand, the "book" versions were outrageously priced.

13. line6man

line6man

I had a $100 book that was meant to get me through three math classes, but I just took two and did the third class with another professor that used a different book. FWIW, I wasn't as irritated with the textbook as much as the fact that four-hour lectures with boring professors are brutal! I don't recommend it unless the professor is interesting.:hyper:

14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

For most books, I want the portability of a paperback.

If it's a long term keeper, I may go hardback.

15. Ziltoid

Ziltoid

Paperbacks, the only quality of hardbacks is that they look good in a bookcase. I'd rather have a less cool bookcase and fit more books in it.

16. jrthebassguy

jrthebassguy Supporting Member

Paperbacks are usually preferred simply because they're cheaper. For longer books or books I really like, hardcover all the way.

17. AaronMB

AaronMB

+1 to this whole thing.

18. bolophonic

bolophonic

Same here. I like the portability aspect of paperbacks, as well.

19. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

I prefer paperbacks for general reading since they're lighter, but if it's an author that I want to collect the books, I'll usually get the hardcover.

20. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I like hard cover if they have a sewn binding, really easy to read that way. Leather covered books are my favourite. Paper back if it is something that I just intend to read once. Hardcover if I am planning on putting it on a shelf for display.

lowsound

21. Staredge

Staredge

Hardback. I keep my books as well. I've occasionally bought both, where I got the PB first and then liked it so much I bought the HB.

I can't stand when people break the spine on paperbacks. I don't lend out books for exactly that reason.