1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Hardware Effect: Bass Mutes

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass_muter, Dec 27, 2013.

1. bass_muter

bass_muter

Hello fellow bassists (and guitarists in bassist clothing!). I am doing some market research about Bass Mutes as I am looking at making a more efficient mute that slides under the strings without altering the tuning, fits any bass guitar, is as cheap as possible and can be fitted within 5 seconds.

I have created a survey that allows me to see if this is something other musicians are interested in, and I would love it if any of you would take the time to fill it in.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WBYFVXX

I am looking forward to hearing your views on the subject! I personally believe a decent mute should be in every bass players arsenal, especially when tackling a Motown set!

Thanks in advance,
    Ryan
  2. newbold

newbold

it's called a piece of foam.

If you can make a great package that people will buy to support the manufacture of more and a profit to yourself then I say all the power to you...

...but all you need is a piece of foam. put it under your strings and adjust it and in about 5 seconds you're set.

I mute with my palm but have really liked playing with foam.
  3. atheos

atheos

I've just cut myself a piece of plastic foam which I can pretty easily slide under the strings. Works like a charm and costs nothing. Goes in the same category than rubber washers as strap locks; they cost next to nothing and work perfectly.
  4. halfjackson

halfjackson Supporting Member

5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

I have one of these: BassMute
    Bought it a long time ago, don't even know if they are still made.
  6. bass_muter

bass_muter

Thanks for all the responses!
    I understand its a piece of foam, but what I am looking to create is something that isn't fiddly to place on the bass, in the dark, between songs without the singer needing to fumble through a joke so that the bassist has a chance to tune before busting into a Motown number.

I have looked at the BassMute before too, but they seem to be VERY expensive and have to be fitted to the bass (although not a permanent fixture, but can't be placed between songs). They are very good though because they even have a 5 string model that allows you to only mute the low B string to stop any unwanted resonance.

Thanks again guys, and ill see you in the forums!
  7. halfjackson

halfjackson Supporting Member

They've never returned any of my emails, but I don't think it'd fit with the oval bridge on a Lakland.