1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Hardware Effect: Bass Mutes

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass_muter, Dec 27, 2013.

1. bass_muter

bass_muter

Hello fellow bassists (and guitarists in bassist clothing!). I am doing some market research about Bass Mutes as I am looking at making a more efficient mute that slides under the strings without altering the tuning, fits any bass guitar, is as cheap as possible and can be fitted within 5 seconds.

I have created a survey that allows me to see if this is something other musicians are interested in, and I would love it if any of you would take the time to fill it in.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WBYFVXX

I am looking forward to hearing your views on the subject! I personally believe a decent mute should be in every bass players arsenal, especially when tackling a Motown set!

Thanks in advance,
    Ryan

2. newbold

newbold

it's called a piece of foam.

If you can make a great package that people will buy to support the manufacture of more and a profit to yourself then I say all the power to you...

...but all you need is a piece of foam. put it under your strings and adjust it and in about 5 seconds you're set.

I mute with my palm but have really liked playing with foam.

3. atheos

atheos

I've just cut myself a piece of plastic foam which I can pretty easily slide under the strings. Works like a charm and costs nothing. Goes in the same category than rubber washers as strap locks; they cost next to nothing and work perfectly.

4. halfjackson

halfjackson Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

I have one of these: BassMute
    Bought it a long time ago, don't even know if they are still made.

7. bass_muter

bass_muter

Thanks for all the responses!
    I understand its a piece of foam, but what I am looking to create is something that isn't fiddly to place on the bass, in the dark, between songs without the singer needing to fumble through a joke so that the bassist has a chance to tune before busting into a Motown number.

I have looked at the BassMute before too, but they seem to be VERY expensive and have to be fitted to the bass (although not a permanent fixture, but can't be placed between songs). They are very good though because they even have a 5 string model that allows you to only mute the low B string to stop any unwanted resonance.

Thanks again guys, and ill see you in the forums!

8. halfjackson

halfjackson Supporting Member

They've never returned any of my emails, but I don't think it'd fit with the oval bridge on a Lakland.