Harley Benton PB-50 Vintage

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kodiakblair, Apr 12, 2014.

1. kodiakblair

kodiakblair

Ordered a Benton PB on Tuesday night.Got confirmation on Wednesday by both text and email that it was shipped.
    Arrived in Scotland from Germany boxed within a box padded with airbags on Friday afternoon.

Out the box came the gorgeous Bass.

[​IMG]

Great build quality,good range of sounds,well balanced,quick easy set-up and we were good to go.This comes with D'ddario strings and a Wilkinson Single Coil and a thumb rest so you can pluck with your thumb like Monk Montgomery did.

First time dealing with Thomanns and first Benton I've had and a good experience all round from Thomann doing they're job well ,choosing good products and delivering those products with no hassles. I'd deal with them again no problem.

Final note this cost £87. The attention to all aspects on such a small sale bodes well for larger sales.Just my opinion but they've got a very satisfied customer here in Scotland.

K.B

Oddly likes this.
  2. JACink

JACink

Nice! I keep thinking about getting the PB50 vintage, but keep putting it off.

So far I have 2 Benton's, and I don´t have any complaints considering the price of them!

3. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

I moved to Europe a few years ago (Greece) and discovered Thomann about 2 years ago.
    I've got nothing but high praise for the, their products and their prices but, most importantly, their customer service.

I just bought a Harley Benton Electric Upright Bass. I'm quite happy with it, the look, the price, the sound. Everything.

My next purchase will likely be the HB fretless 4string. It's gotten lots of good reviews, also from folks here on TB.

4. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Very nice bass!

I've never bought any of their in house basses (have with some electronics and mics), always had great experience with Thomann!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. subdude67

subdude67

i am waiting for one as well. crazy basses for the money!

enjoy yours!

7. kodiakblair

kodiakblair

Hope you don't have to wait for long. With its classy look I feel like I should wear a suit to play it

8. vdub75

vdub75

I've had a few bentons and one P was very trashy... but the PB50 is the best benton I've had. had to move the bridge because the strings did not line up but yeah... 99€...

threw in a Häussel pickup, gonna repaint it and give the headstock a fender shape

the only thing:the wood grain is not natural, it's "photo" stuff glued to the body

9. subdude67

subdude67

it will be a while, i need someone to actually travel to kenya and bring me the bass. nothing wrong playing a nice bass in a suit though:D

10. kodiakblair

kodiakblair

Sorry subdude not planing any trips to Africa soon. It can't be easy getting cheap gear in Kenya. There must be some local talent making Basses, no shortage of craftsmen I'd imagine.

11. subdude67

subdude67

...isn't that a shame, kodiakblair! it could have been so easy.....

i got used to wait for gear, let me tell you it makes it all the sweeter when i finally lay my hands on it:D

craftsmen they have plenty here but only for traditional local instruments. i have yet to see a locally made electric guitar/bass here.

the very few basses available in shops are lowest grade chinese made instruments that still sell around 400US$.......
    hard to believe but i know several professional musiscians here who have to rent their instrument from the venue they play.

12. kodiakblair

kodiakblair

the very few basses available in shops are lowest grade chinese made instruments that still sell around 400US$.......
    hard to believe but i know several professional musiscians here who have to rent their instrument from the venue they play.

I can believe that, I heard the guy who played on Paul Simons " Graceland " managed to buy his fretless Washburn because of a discount, it had been for sale for ages.

Seems a shame having the craftsmen but then the market dicates the product

13. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

I notice they also do a Jaco style fretless jazz, but with a rosewood board. I have a VM Squier with the ebanol board and it sounds a bit too upfront for my liking. So I thought of getting the ESP P/J fretless with the rosewood board. Perhaps the Harley Benton would be too low a price point to be equivalent to a Squier, although I do have a spare set of jazz pickups, spare bridge to throw at it.

14. kodiakblair

kodiakblair

Asdfgh I think you'd be surprised with the Benton. Your real decision is do you
    go with active electrics and a light basswood body on the ESP or with the Ash
    body on the Benton but strung with D'addario strings there's a saving too start
    with.
    As to being equivalent to a Squier well I'm of an age that remembers when Squiers
    first appeared and back then you were as well playing anything else because once
    you turned with a Squier all you heard were " Pretend Fender " comments. I'm afraid
    that kind of attitude stuck with me. While I'm sure they're fine guitars they're just
    another guitar generally made in the east, India,Indonesia,Taiwan,China and Korea
    same as the Benton.

Of the 12 basses I own all were built in the Far East, Wasburns,Ibanez,Westones,
    Deans,Bass Collection and the Benton's every bit as well built.

Active electronics, Basswood body and ESP on headstock or save £76 get an Ash
    body and have Benton on headstock. Here's a thing though Vdub75 thought
    enough of the quaility to stick a pickup that cost the same if not more than the
    bass.

15. vdub75

vdub75

yes, absolutely. I'd say in terms of build quality its on a level with those classic vibe squier 50's basses.

I sold mine (or only the neck) by now because I fear I'll never get used to those phat necks... maybe I'll just throw a jazz neck on the body....

16. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Hey, me too! the EUB500, correct?

How do you like it? Mine needed some tweaking, and it had an issue with the p'up that took me some time to sort out
    but now, I really dig it.

17. vdub75

vdub75

bought a jazz neck and a fender fideli-tron... project benton-cabronita in the making...

18. kodiakblair

kodiakblair

Look forward to seeing the Benton-Cabronita Vdub.

19. vdub75

vdub75

the jazz neck was bent, looking for a good j neck on the cheap... gonna post it if ever it's done :-D

20. kodiakblair

kodiakblair

That's a bind vdub.

Strung mines on Monday with Status nylons. A quick setup and it was good to go.

Hope you find another neck soon.

21. vdub75

vdub75

the bass is now at my buddys shop. I bought a harley benton vintage jazz with rosewood/block inlay neck. Neckpocket fits. Gotta re-do the neck strews, the headstock, do a pickup route and re-assamble it.

kodiakblair likes this.