Harmonic pitch

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Isaakill, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Isaakill

Isaakill

Hi there,

Recently I me and my band composed a new song, and I was asked to play an harmonic pitch during the song, the thing is that I can't really produce sound well, and I was wondering how to do this right.

I have a Warwick standard double buck, and I'm playing with a pick, and My distortion pedal is MXR blow torch.

As I understand so far, I need to us the distortion pedal, add gain and set the treble and mid higher the the low range.
    But the thing is that when I'm doing the harmonic pitch I'm producing a high sound, but one who doesn't last long and not as high as I hear in other song. As an example, here's a song of OM with an harmonic pitch on the beginning (0:54): http://youtu.be/PgBQwqi1OYU

2. Jensby design

Jensby design

I recently switch to a Circle K .090 for my E-string, pitch harmonics just got a whole got easier.

3. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks Supporting Member

Believe it or not, even flatwound 0.130 B strings produce tons of harmonics. at fret 5, 7, 12 and 18 they are clear and clean with endless sustain. It think the stiffness of the entire construction of the bass helps a lot. Of course setting highs to the max helps a lot as well. Here's an example, played on my old, BEAD tuned Ibby: At 3:39 I produce a second harmonic on my flatwound E-string

4. Jensby design

Jensby design

I'm sorry, I misunderstood, I was thinking pinch harmonics :oops: read Jensby read
    Anyway, I've been enjoying doing stuff like this http://youtu.be/PImj2pt5rB8 on my bass since string gauge change. Also you don't need distortion, a compressor will bring your gain up and maintain cleanish tone.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

In a recording anything can be made to sound full and long....that is production. Even the smallest, faintest of sounds can be engineered to draw your ear to it. Live it is a different problem and two main ones, the on stage sound and the Front Of House sound.
    FOH will have an engineer, so he can boost and add effects, such as chorus, and delay to harmonics, add gain to boost their signal and control the effect.
    On stage you might get none of this from your amp, but maybe you will hear it through a foldback system.
    Sometimes it is better to play and not hear what gets done FOH as it can put you off depending on the effect and the range of its use.

For stage purposes try adding some chorus to the sound, save it as a patch and you can call it up when ever needed, even if for a single harmonic. I used to take my main sound, save it as a patch, then add a single effect to it and save it as another patch. Then i would bank the patches for use, so each song would have the patches created and then all stored in a bank ready to call up making them easy to use.
    Even if it was say a chorus to increase the effects of a harmonic, it would be a patch, and a bank created for that use.

Many great floor unit (and some amps like Line 6) can create and store multipe effects, effects, patches and banks. Boss and Zoom have some good options price wise for live gigging, so check them out.

7. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Exactly which harmonic are you using?