Harmonics for each key on bass?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by JeffVanter, Jan 9, 2014.

1. JeffVanter

JeffVanter

Has anyone ever thought of tabbing out each harmonic position that works with each key? Assuming you would stay in standard, what would be the frets to use harmonics in the key of C minor and major?

Also, if you know all the notes that a C add 9 chord has, and then know all the notes that harmonics play, can you play THOSE notes of harmonics under the guitars?

But what would be the harmonic positions for both C minor and C major? Thank you!
  2. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

I'm familiar with the C9 natural harmonic arpeggio on each string (1,3,5,b7,8,9). I guess I don't see where you would find a C natural harmonic. C# occurs several places on the A string, but where does a C occur on four string? Are we talking about a 6 string (with a high C)?
  3. Mushroo

Mushroo

There is a very high C harmonic on the D string (it's the b7), but it isn't easy to play and will sound out of tune to most people.

I'm not sure I understand the question. You learn the note names of the harmonics, then you know what the notes are, and you play them if they fit. For example, if you are playing in the key of C, don't play any harmonics that have sharps or flats next to the note names. :) Or are you saying, this is for a student/friend of yours who doesn't know their note names, doesn't care to learn, and only understands TAB?

There definitely are plenty of songs, books, videos, etc. that demonstrate various chords using harmonics. The "rosetta stone" of course is Jaco's "Portrait of Tracy."
  4. JeffVanter

JeffVanter

I do play a 6 string, but I understand most people generally play a 4.
  5. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

you can produce harmonic on every note/fret of the bass ... so you can play harmonics for every key, chord whatever.

Think of your fretting fingers as a movable nut
  6. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

I assumed the OP was referring to only natural harmonics. The most usable harmonics on each string are 1,5 , 8 and 10 (frets 12, 7, 5, and 3 (or 9) respectively).
  7. JeffVanter

JeffVanter

Im sorry I wasn't clear.
    What I meant is I would like to know id people have tabbed out the positions for all the harmonics you can use within a particular key. Which, if you you know music theory, I'm sure it would be easy to do.

Think of it like a chord chart for guitar. They follow the finger position and play that chord.

But now it's for bass and it's the use of harmonics. Follow this harmonic sheet for the key of E major (for example.)
  8. Mushroo

Mushroo

9. JeffVanter

JeffVanter

Pretty much, thank you!