Harsh Noise

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KitBass, Mar 19, 2014.

1. KitBass

KitBass

Had a Fender MIM Jazz bass for about 6/7 months now and I've noticed that I create quite a harsh short scratchy sound even when I lightly tap the strings with my right hand. I'm aware that the single coil pick-ups have a lot to do with it and there may be no full cure, but I'm just wondering if there's anyway I can reduce this abit? cheers!
  2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Need more detail to diagnose the problem. Which strings? Tapping exactly where with exactly what? Are the strings coming into contact with the pickups? Are the strings coming into contact with the frets? What is the other hand doing?
  3. KitBass

KitBass

With Left hand muting strings, right hand tapping above neck pickup, roundwound regular gauge strings and no contact with either pickup nor frets.
  4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Are you certain of no contact? There can be very slight contact, even in the lower frets that will give off a significant clack.

Try it unplugged in a very quiet place. Listen for a collision. You WILL find it. Move the bass around, tilt your head, bend close. I have sought out all sorts of such artifacts when I used to do paid studio and broadcast work. :cool:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KitBass

KitBass

Aha! Wise words, cheers :bassist: