1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Hartke 215XL Cab - Blown speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bassman_manc, Feb 7, 2013.

1. bassman_manc

bassman_manc

Hi guys. I recently got hold of a Hartke HA3500 head, a 215XL and a 4.5XL cab. The 215XL seems to have a problem with the top speaker. It distorts on certain notes. The bottom speaker sound fine, so it's definitely a speaker rather than an amp issue.

At first I thought it might be blown, but I've done the usual check of gently pressing on the aluminium cone and I can't feel or hear any grating.

I've read a bit about the dust caps being a common issue on these speakers, i.e. they work loose and produce a sound similar to a blown speaker, though I can't actually see any evidence of this. Is this always visible?

I've been trying to source a replacement speaker but I'm not having much luck. I'm in the UK.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Carl
  2. bassman_manc

bassman_manc

Well it seems I've answered my own question! I had a bit more of a poke around and had a *really* good look at the dust cover on the top speaker. Had to use a magnifying glass to see it properly, but there was a small section - maybe about a half inch or so - where the dust cover wasn't stuck down. You would really struggle to see it with a casual glance because it wasn't at all obvious. I couldn't see how such a small area would make much of a difference, but I decided to run around the edges of the cover with some superglue just in case, and pressed down around the cover till I could see it was stuck down again.

Presto! Problem solved. No more distortion and two perfectly sounding speakers again. I did the other one while I was in there, just to be belt and braces.

So, it goes to show that even the smallest area of detachment of the dust cover can make a big difference to the sound. Who'd have though it?
  3. murphy

murphy

Yup...happened with my 410XL