1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Hartke 4.5 XL + 3500 still a good choice nowadays?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by kombi, Jan 10, 2013.

1. kombi

kombi

Hey there,

I could get my hands on a Hartke 4.5 XL and a Hartke 3500 Top for around 400€ (~500$) - used.

As far as I know, Hartke is not a Pro manufactor (anymore?) and I read some mixed reviews (some even here on TB), but since they're all a couple of years old, I'd like to get a quick overview on the opinions nowadays.

Is it worth the money?

I'm currently playing a Rickenbacker through an 1x15 Ibanez 100w amp.
  2. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars & Basses
    There is better gear out there, but it still sounds good - tight and focused.
  3. mazdah

mazdah

Since first Ampeg B-15 a good amp will always be a good amp.

If Hartke was good in the 90's it's good now.

And 4,5 XL is exceptional cab with 5" speaker instead of tweeter which results in great and smooth highs.

Jack Bruce is using 3500 / 5500 nowadays. And he can use whataver he wants to. That should be a quite good recomendation.
  4. nogoodwithnames

nogoodwithnames Supporting Member

Still good gear. Hartke makes good stuff. Love my 3500. That being said, I don't know the market in your area, but that price seems a bit high to me.
  5. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

I am not big on the Hartke amps, but the 410xl cabs are very good. A little on the heavy side but well built IMO.
  6. Noosh

Noosh

Price seems a little high to me also. I have a 3500 and two 410 xl cabs that I got used for around 500.
    Price aside I absolutely love the amp and cabs. Ive heard good things about the 4.5 as well though.
  7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

I like the cabs more than the amps but that's a matter of personal taste. I've never tried this but a favorite combination touted on the forums is a Hartke cab with a Gallien Krueger head.

As for me, I have an "almost-given-to-me" Hydrive 4 X 10 powered by a RBI / Drivecore rack. Now that thing sings!

Riis
  8. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

It's still a viable choice. My keyboard player uses that amp for his keyboards and it sounds killer.

I saw Ana Popovic last year and her bass player was using that amp (with a GK goldline cab) and it worked very well.
  9. murphy

murphy

I would buy it in a heartbeat.
    For Euro pricing, seems reasonable if it is all in perfect condition.
    Check the power switch
    Make sure none of the cones a rattling or buzzing
    both easy fixes...for a price cut
  10. steve windhelm

steve windhelm

agreed ...
    fine amp
  11. darius8

darius8

I still think they're pro level stuff. Geezer Butler, Stu Hamm, Wooten, Sheehan, Ellefson, Bello, Jack Bruce, they are not amateurs.:rolleyes::meh:::rollno:
  12. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

The xl cabs are good for the money. Stay away from the "transporter" series. Never had one of their heads so can't say on those.
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's good gear.
  14. ransombass

ransombass

That's a great combination for a great price. I played that rig for years. It always sounded good and never let me down. I've played through a new 3500 as house provided backline for the past couple of weeks at a jam night. Not my preferred tone but it's a perfectly usable tone.

For $500, I'd definitely go for it.
  15. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Nothing wrong w/ Hartke; except maybe the carpet covering, LOL...
  16. MattyH

MattyH

I have this rig, along with a Hydrive rig. I love Hartke, and plenty of professionals are still using Hartke rigs. Actually, some of the best bassists out there are using Hartke. The 3500 is one of my favorite heads ever made. I think the price may be a liiiiittle high, but it's a great set up!
  17. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

Amen! If Hartke is not "pro" gear, then what is? The 3500 is a classic head that was used by many bassists for years, and the 4.5 was their flagship cab for years as well...if you want lightweight and newer designs then youre gonna have to shell out more $$$ ;)
  18. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

I use a HA3500 head and TP410 cab now for full band practice. I've had them both for about 12 years and they still work and sound fantastic to me. Had one issue with the head a while back and Larry himself helped me in getting it fixed. Great customer service!
  19. bill reed

bill reed

Jack has been using the HA 7000 for some time now. they were made for Jack and he had some input into making them. he did use the HA3500 for a long time and if you look at the 3500 and the 7000 they look much alike.
    they are all really good head and do take a lot of knocks too.
  20. lazyone2

lazyone2

Thats a good combination. The 4.5XL has a nice beefy tone. I used one for 10years, it was just to heavy around 100lbs, for me to continue to use.