Hartke 410 Cab re-hab/mod

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Tommy Nat, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Tommy Nat

Tommy Nat

I picked up a hartke 3500 and 410xl on trade a while back primarily for the amp as the cab was just about shot. 3 drivers were blown and it smelled like a wet basement so it was pretty much a freebie in the trade. It's one of the early 410xl's, the 240 watt version with the plastic recessed handles. I was gonna do a build thread on this, but never got around to posting. but here are a few shots of the before and afters for those interesed in projects like these.

I've replaced speakers before and have done some slight modding to cabs, but nothing this extensive/major. It was a gamble but it paid off on this one. I'm extremely pleased with the results. Total cost was $175. Worth every penny.

Here's what it looked like:

[​IMG]

I found some eminence 1040's on avatar's website on closeout for $28 a piece. Looking at the specs of them they're far from the best speakers on the market, but for what I'm looking to do, it was worth a shot to try them out. I got them on sale with free shipping during the black friday sale $112 total.

[​IMG]

Loaded em up, plugged in, and it sounded good. Not the best i've heard, but surprisingly really good. So then I figured lets get this cab looking good too. Some new tolex, corners, input jacks, and real handles were needed. It needed a grill, but instead of spending money on a new grill, I repainted an old grill I had from a 410tp cab. Different size but instead of cutting it down, I modified the baffle to fit the bigger grill. While I was at it, I added a cheap(ish) tweeter, and wired that to a 4 pole speakon to work with my gk 1001's bi-amp feature.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BrentSimons likes this.
  2. krutonlowend

krutonlowend

That looks really good. You couldn't have timed your post any better. I have been thinking about getting rid of the rat fur on my 115 and putting some tolex on it. How did you remove the fur?
  3. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

That looks really good! Nice job!
  4. Tommy Nat

Tommy Nat

The cab was so old the glue and carpet just came off with a little pull. Much easier than my last attempt. Little sanding and all the glue was off easily.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

otherwise i'd think a heat gun would work to soften the glue as you pulled the rat fur off.
  7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

.. very nice .. I am contemplating re-loading my 210XL's, with TBD drivers ... did you keep the final cab impedance 8 ohms, or did you make it 4 ohms?? .. I am not familiar with the impedances that Dave was offering those drivers at ...
  8. Tommy Nat

Tommy Nat

Yeah, I kept it at 8 ohms. I just checked avatars website, doesn't look like they have the 1040's left, but some other nice options. I'd bet those celestions would work nicely.
  9. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

That is one nice lookin' cab! I've owened a few of those over the years, & I always felt that they should've tolexed them; that fabric they put on 'em blew chunks, IMHO... :)
  10. vdub75

vdub75

I know this thread is old, but:

first, good job! looks awesome!

than I gotta question: I play Hartke transporter cabs with speakers replaced and I'm asking myself: do those marshall style metal handles drop right in?
  11. Tommy Nat

Tommy Nat

Hartke has switched handles over the years. From the plastic inserts to the spring loaded and most recently I think are the metal bars. I think the Marshall's are too big for any though
  12. vdub75

vdub75

I think I'll order some of the adam hall 3402, somebody told me they fit his transporter 210.
  13. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Fantastic job! Hey could you do some work on my house? ;
    Take care,
    Brent