Hartke 410 TP - Help Needed

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by martync, Oct 30, 2013.

1. martync

martync

Hi,

First time poster. My name is Martyn out here in Perth Western Australia. Read the forums with interest for some time now.

I am having problems with speakers crackling\buzzing with two Hartke 410 TP Transporter series cabs I bought when I moved here. I am still quite new to bass and would appreciate any advise on this issue. I play through a Hartke HA3500 amp.

Basically, the speakers keep blowing in the cabs. I appreciate this is most probably because of volume but I was wondering if someone could verify my setup? I'm just interested is it me or is it these cabs?

Hartke HA 3500 settings:-

PreAmp:-

Tube 2
    SS 6
    Comp - Just below 1
    EQ - On mostly at 0 with mids slightly sqaushed up
    Low Pass - +3
    High Pass - -5
    Master 2.5 - 3 I never go above this

I play with these settings through just one of the Hartke cabs - not both. Every so often one of the speakers will start buzzing. However last night when playing the top left speaker started making this horrible crackling sound with every note being played.

I've had this issue with one of the cabs repaired before. The guy I sent it to basically glued the speakers. It sorted the problem for a while but now it is back. He put it down to wear and tear.

Am I playing too loud? Is it time to write off these cabs?

Thanks in advance.

2. Trus3683

Trus3683

Welcome! The head is 250 watts at 8 ohms. The cab is a 300 watt 8 ohm cabinet. You should theoretically be able to turn it very high, much more than 3/10 without issue. The speaker buzzing may signal that the cone's lost the glue contact with the speaker, (again?) hence the earlier repair, but I don't know the exact terms of that repair.
    Do you have this exact issue in the other cab? I'd take it back to the guy and say the fix didn't hold up.

3. caddywumpus

caddywumpus

I have one of these Hartke cabs, and done my research on them. While I haven't had this problem with mine, I've heard that the reason for speaker noise/flappiness is due to the cheap screws used. If you replace the screws with some standard-quality wood screws, you should be okay. Someone even suggested taking out the screws, rotating the speaker 1/16 of a rotation, drilling, and then screwing the new screws in. Makes sense to not use the previous holes...

4. martync

martync

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted peace of mind I wasn't playing too loud. I've done a bit of research online about settings for the amp and was confident I wasn't pushing it. Both cabs have had issues with buzzing and also a crackling sound. Both cabs have had repairs carried out which involved glueing the cones again. It said on the invoice he had replaced the speakers but what he meant was they had been taken out and glued. Warranty has now expired on the work so I need to make a decision whether to get a new cab or not. Thanks again.

5. Register to disable this ad