1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Hartke 8ohm head with a 410 Ampeg 4 ohm cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mainten4, Mar 28, 2014.

1. mainten4

mainten4

I had to borrow a Hartke 5500 head to power my Ampeg classic 410 but I saw the amp was rated for 8ohms and my cabinet is rated at 4 ohms. The amp has 2 speaker outputs labeled 8 ohms each, yet the amp has a sticker on the back with ratings for both 4 and 8 ohms. The cabinet has only 2, 1/4" jack inputs and an attenuator dial. Its a borrowed amp and I don't want to blow it up. Tried just plugging it straight into the cab and had the volume turned down. It gave a quiet distorted sound when I plucked a string. Can I rewire the cab, even though it has that attenuator dial on the back? Did a speaker wire in the cab come loose? Can I use 2 cables from the amp to the cabinet? I have a rough understanding of ohm loads but I'm very :crying:short on time and need this rig working "like" yesterday. Could anyone help out.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You are fine with that amp and cab as is. Do not use two cables...just one. Don't rewire the cab. The head automatically detects the cab's impedance.

3. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

The head is rated for a minimum of 4 ohms, meaning it can run at 8 ohms too (just less power).

No...........you cannot rewire a 8 ohm cab to be 4 ohms without swapping the speakers.

Using 2 cables from the head to the cab is not necessary, and does nothing.

The source of your distortion is from something else (not because it's a 4 ohm cab).

4. tgriley62

tgriley62

That amp puts out 350 watts at 8 Ohms & the full 500 watts at 4 ohms. If your speaker cab is a 4ohm cab you can only use one cabinet.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. eriky4003

eriky4003

Not sure if the 5500 (like the 3500) has a tube in it (I believe it does). Try cutting the Tube pre-amp to zero and try just the solid state pre-amp to see if this is causing the distortion. Also, the Hartke eq is very powerful. If you are using the eq, ensure you bump up your mids (from the third eq on the left) and not the first two eqs on the left. I've blown speakers being too aggressive in what I believed to be my bass 'domain'.