Hartke 8x10 XL + Faital Pro 10FE200.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Attakk Bassist, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Attakk Bassist

Attakk Bassist Supporting Member

I just put 8 Faital Pro 10FE200 in my Hartke XL cab so I thought I would share the outcome.
    I'm powering it with a Ampeg svt 4 pro in mono bridged at 4 ohms.
    I didn't like the lack of warmth and the chunky/awkward sound. I wanted to match the power handling of the cab to the head so the Faital Pros were perfect at 150 watts rms and 300 peak and they were affordable at 44 dollars a piece.
    I owned a 8x10 Ampeg svt classic at one point and thought it was total crap, made out of particle board and 160lbs of mud. I'm sure the heritage sounds much better but those are pricey.
    The Hartke is made out of decent plywood and built fairly well. The first time I plugged it in I was blown away by how much louder it was then with the aluminum drivers, it really felt like it had some balls.
    The tone was everything I was hoping for warm full bodied sparkly and gut pounding bass all at the same time and it weighs about 30-40 pounds lighter now.
    Needless to say I was really happy it sounded so good.

[​IMG]

2. Attakk Bassist

3. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Is your cab sealed, or ported in the rear?

Do the drivers breakup musically, or at all, under high power?

I've been eyeballing these for a little while, but haven't had my hands on any. Be interested in any further thoughts you might have. The 8ohm and 4ohm versions are quite different from each other, but both look good for different applications....price is nice too.

4. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    Arent these speakers only available in 4 or 8ohms ? I thought you need 32ohm drivers in a 810 ?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Attakk Bassist

The cab is sealed. I haven't had a problem with braking up they seem to handle the power really well. What kind of cab would you be putting them in?

7. Attakk Bassist

Yeah mine are the 8ohm version. Wired in series parallel. You don't need 32ohm if you wire them the right way.

8. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Cool. On paper anyway, the 8ohm versions look pretty well suited to sealed cabs for bass guitar. They're also pretty smooth and reach plenty high enough for most of us. The 4ohm version of the same driver looks better suited for ported cabs.

As for what cabs, they would be of my own design. I keep thinking of doing a 4ohm, sealed 410 for SVT players who like to crank their amps up to the "sweet spot", so they'd be able to do that in bars and smaller gigs where the 810 is just too much.

Another is using a pair of the 4ohm version in a MTM style, 8ohm PA top with a nice HF component. Again, they look smooth and could be crossed 2000-2500hz in that application (for dispersion/pattern control purposes).

It's just that it seems there's a lot to like about this line of 10's and they're not expensive at all. Not a lot to choose from out there if you need affordable, off-the-shelf 4 or 16 ohm drivers and these are the best I've seen yet that meet those requirements.......on paper at least.

9. Attakk Bassist

Yeah I haven't looked at the 4ohm version but if they sound as good as the 8ohm ones I don't think you could go wrong. As for using them in a ported cab I'm not sure how they would sound. I have seen some comments on hear that say they would be mid heavy in a ported cab but I don't know.

10. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    I have to do more research, modeling, etc. Just off the cuff, the 8ohms with their high Q would make nice bass in a sealed box, but might get too boomy/indestinct when ported. The 4ohms seem a little like the opposite. Little too early to tell really though.

Thanks for your impressions. The 8ohm versions are still an option for a sealed 410 that could be made switchable between 8 and 2 ohms, so still tube amp friendly.

11. Attakk Bassist

Yeah man. Good luck on your endeavors.

12. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Thanks.

If my reading of charts and graphs is anything similar to what you're hearing with your "new" 810, it should not only be noticably louder, but also sound like you took the blanket off your old one. :). Meaning not just more quantity, but considerably better quality of sound. That analogy would apply to not just the aluminum cone Hartke's, but even moreso those chipboard, "dark" sounding SVT's.

13. camthebassman

camthebassman Supporting Member

I've been running a pair of the 8 ohms in a sealed, 3 cu ft box for a month or so. Love it! Punchy without losing the bottom end, ala the Ampeg 210s.

I'm finishing a couple of "production" cabinets for my own use. They will be wired as 4 ohm cabs, with a provision to interconnect the two cabs in series for an 8 ohm 410.

Great speaker, especially considering the price!

[​IMG]

very dirty camera lens!

14. Attakk Bassist

Nice! Yeah I really like these speakers.
    First time in my 14 years of playing that I've been completely satisfied with my setup :)
    What kind of amp do you use with them?

15. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

Media:
    How do you get a 4 ohm load from four 8 ohm speakers? As you said you think the 8 ohm would likely be better for a sealed cab. Maybe I am still just half asleep and completely missing something.

16. camthebassman

camthebassman Supporting Member

I'm using an Aguilar TH350. For 90% of my playing, a single 4 ohm cab is sufficient. I'm curious about the difference between 4 drivers at 8 ohms (175 watts) and the 2 drivers at 4 ohms (350 watts). These speakers are noticebly more efficient than others I've used - Eminence BP102, GB XB2 210. In a band practice setting with the single 210 test box, I'm setting my master at about 9 o'clock...lots more room on the dial.

17. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    You don't. :D

Was hoping the 4ohm versions of these drivers spec'd more like the 8ohm version, but they don't. The 8ohm versions are the ones for sealed cabs.

The 8ohm 410 could we wired to 2ohms for SVT's.

18. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

Media:
    Ah okay, I was racking my brain trying to figure out a way to make that happen.

19. Attakk Bassist

Yeah when I was putting them in the cab I taped on the cones of the Hartkes and Faitals and I could hear a big difference in the resonance of them. The Hartkes just went thud and the Faitals had a nice long sustain.

20. Attakk Bassist

Well one of my speakers is now blown. Maybe they're not such good speakers after all.

21. Attakk Bassist

Got my bad speakers replaced under warranty. Hopefully it was just defective and it doesn't happen again.