1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Hartke A100 tinny sounding.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by alexer47, Nov 24, 2013.

1. alexer47

alexer47

About a year ago I won a Hartke A100 in a contest. Nice prize but in the year that I have had it I hate the way it sounds. The aluminum cone is 15" and to my ears sounds too metallic. Is it just me or have others had this experience? Could it just be my attack? I was really excited when I won this and in fact I sold my practice amp because this fills the need for practice and small venues. But the sound drives me nuts and makes practice excruciating to my ears. No matter how I adjust the EQ I am just not unhappy.
    Someone help me please.
  2. mcnach

mcnach

What bass do you use?
    I had one ant I thought it sounded great. Very fat, deep, but with good definition.
    I used a Jazz and a Stingray. The controls on the amp were left pretty much neutral...
  3. alexer47

alexer47

I have tried both the Peavey Millennium and the Warwick Corvette $$.
  4. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

A few years back I remember getting the Hartke Kickback 12 instead of the 15, because the 15 sounded a little dark to me. I've never heard a Hartke cab or combo that sounded tinny to my ear. Here's the key, though, that's to MY ear. No two individuals hear thigs the same.

If you can, I would take your bass and combo to a store and play your amp side by side with a few others. You may just like a different tone.

Have you tried different strings? That can often be the biggest factor in tone.