Hartke A70 vs. KB12

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by krjackson, Jan 21, 2014.

1. krjackson

krjackson Supporting Member

Hi Folks.

New to the forums and to the bass. Wanted to play it for years, even with everyone telling me "Nah, you should learn guitar instead". Finally, at 32, decided to start learning. I have an off-brand P Bass clone that's a surprisingly good player and I'm currently playing through a 20-watt Roland Cube guitar amp that I got for free. I can see how this might be a fun little guitar amp, but it doesn't really like a bass. Maybe the bass Cubes are good, but holy crap they're expensive, and I don't want all the whizz-bang effects and modeling crap.

I'm looking at a Hartke A70 or a Kickback 12, and it seems to come down to features vs. wattage. Does anyone have any comparative experience with the two? I don't have access to any locally to A/B.

The A70 seems to weigh more, has less power, but more EQ and more inputs.
    The KB12 has more power, but is more simple in its functionality. Which I actually prefer. It's also a bit more expensive.

I guess my real question: Is the KB12 worth the extra coin over the A70? Is the KB12 better built or is the higher price only because of the increased wattage?

Thanks.

Kyle
  2. krjackson

krjackson Supporting Member

My question may have been a little premature. After checking the specs @ Hartke's website, not only does the KB have more power, it's also a cleaner amp. S/N ratio is 20dB better, Input to Output gain is 16dB or so higher, and the THD is an order of magnitude better. Wish I knew what the f3 of the cabinets is.

I may have answered my own question. :)