1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Hartke amp repair

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Mooch, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Mooch

Mooch

Just a quick question, I own a hartke head, can't think of the model name as its not here with me but its like HA3500 or something, the one with the tube preamp and the graphic eq.

Anyway I gigged with it last week and it has of course never had an issue until we get on stage to set up. I plug into active and it makes sound but like farting horribleness coming out my cab like its not connected.

After a lot of rushed trouble shooting it magically worked.

I think its a bad jack on the amp. They seem a little loosey goosey but they don't make any noise if you wiggle them like a guitar would.

Are these easy to fix? Would a local shop be able to repair quickly?

Any thoughts?(I don't know how to soder)

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Tighten the jacks some but not real tight. Then try again. ( its solder by the way)

3. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Disclosures:
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    A shop is always best for a small repair if you are unsure.

If it were me, I'd take the top panel off (the top), hold the inside of the jack with my one hand and tighten the jack on the outside with the other hand.

That way you won't pull the solder joint. If you open it up and realize the wire is already unsoldered, take it to the shop.

4. Stingray5

Stingray5

It would help to know if the same thing happened if you plugged into the passive input, and also what was the rushed troubleshooting you did to make it work..

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mooch

Mooch

Well to go through the troubleshooting, I did as follows. 1. FREAK OUT 2. Think and try swapping cables 3. Try to swap basses(other bass has a passive switch so its both active and passive. 4. Plug in passive and still same result. 5. Freak out more. 6. Plug original active bass back in. 7. Working for no reason I could find.

Went to practice the next time and tryed a little less rushed troubleshooting and upon plugging in the first time it did the same thing.

Moving plug in jack made no clunking static noises. Pulled plug and replugged a few time and then it worked.

Last practice plugged right in and no problem.

I'm gonna try taking the cover off tonight and tightening the jacks and see what happens from there.

7. Stingray5

Stingray5

lol

OK so does it also happen with either preamp (tube or solid state)?

you can also call larry:

www.calllarryhartke.com

8. Mooch

Mooch

Ya happened on both, here's the odd thing though, like I said it did it at the show then again at the following practice. But, it hasn't done it at the past 3 now. I plugged in last night and wigged that chord in the amp jack like crazy and couldn't make it happen.

Could it be loose wiring in my cabs? I mean I transported them and the problem happened and after I transported back, but now that its sitting and not been moved for weeks on end no problems at all.