1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

hartke ha2000 no sound through output

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by surlistyc, Nov 23, 2013.

1. surlistyc

surlistyc

Sorry about the vague title.
    so, I have the Hartke HA2000. it's a decent amp for the price. I'm playing a Brice 6 string and it's running through a Hartke 4x10 cab. (None of this is mine (except the bass), borrowing a friend's, who is also in my band)

so we did a show a few weeks ago, and a bassist from another band desperately needed a head. I let him use mine, because twice now, I've had to use other people's. Why not pay it forward. well, come to find out, he hooked it up to 2, 4 ohm drivers, and since that set, it hasn't worked.

It turns on, light comes on.
    if I turn up just the volume a humming comes out of the 4x10's that increases in volume, with the volume knob, with or without the bass plugged in.
    none of the other pots have any affect on any sound/hum.
    the fuses are fine, and this is the only problem it's had since the owner and I have been using it. (Years now)

can someone be so kind as to help walk me through and troubleshoot what's wrong with it. I'd rather not take it to a tech because I can get another used one for about $130. but I'm into fixing my own electronics, and this is kind of over my head.
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

First thing to do is use an instrument cable to "loop" between the effects send and effects return jack. If still no sound plug your bass into the effects return jack (volume should be low but still play well) with the master turned up. If it works with the cable the effects return jack is corroded on it's internal contacts. If it won't play with the cable or into the effects return jack the power amp is damaged.
  3. surlistyc

surlistyc

Ok so I just tried that. and no change in hum. would you know how to troubleshoot the power amp?
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hoo boy! I suggest calling Hartke on Monday. And I suggest demanding that this clown pay the bill for fixing it.
  5. surlistyc

surlistyc

If it was my gallien krueger head, I'd be super pissed. but like I said, i'd much rather just buy another used Hartke HA2000, UNLESS I can fix it myself. I'm just trying to narrow down the actual problem so I can know if it will even be worth fixing myself. I'm fine as far as equipment goes to perform or practice, but using the 4x10 helps round out the sound.
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

If the Hartke is a 4 ohm minimum head, and if the other guy pushed it hard with a 2 ohm load, then all bets are off. Could be an internal fuse that protected the amp, best case, or could have fried the whole output section of the amp, worst case. Only a qualified amp tech, with all the needed test equipment, can tell you for sure.
  7. B-string

If going bass direct to effects return (power amp in) still provides no sound then it will be more cost effective to get a used amp. Sorry!
  8. surlistyc

surlistyc

see i'm think the output is fried, i've looked inside on the main mobos and nothing is burnt, discolored, bulging. but there is one pot the "high pass" pot, when I turn it while kind of pushing it in, it'll crackle the hum for a second. (I'm not thinking that pot has anything to do with no actual bass coming out)
    I haven't yet taken out any of the boards in there, but i think i'll take out the output board and check it out. I'll post what i find out.
  9. surlistyc

surlistyc

Yeah, I think I'm just going to do that, B-String. I don't know what happened between an hour ago and now, but now it's just blowing fuse after use. (used 4 now) I'd rather just not have the headache on this one. maybe if the amp was actually worth some money, but not on this. Thanks to everyone who replied to this short thread.
  10. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

11. B-string

Yeah if it's now blowing fuses, there is a fork in it (as in it's done). At least you now have some spare parts (other than the poweramp)?
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd still be looking for that dude to throw me a hundy on a new amp at least.
  13. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

If it's popping fuse then it's a short rather than an open. Might be worth a very careful internal inspection. Even maybe the input jack. That's a great little amp.