hartke HA5500 or hartke LH500 ? (with ak speakers)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bassssificator, Feb 5, 2011.

1. bassssificator

bassssificator

hi there,

I have 2 amps that I'd like to try the hartke HA5500(519 euros --> 704.982 USD) or the hartke LH 500 (333 euros --> 452.329 USD) and use them with 2 hartke ak speakers.

they both have 500 watts power handling but there prices are very different (I can offord both of them).
    I hear great things about the hartke LH 500 but I don't hear much about the hartke HA5500.

the HA5500 has much more features than the LH 500. why does everyone choose LH 500 over HA 5500? does somebody hase those amps? does somebody have hartke ak speakers? and what is the best speaker combination 4x10' + 4x10' or 4x10' + 1x15'?

thx ! :bassist:
  2. rogypop

rogypop

First its important for you to know not to mix different speaker cabs but rather match them with the same brand and the same model containing of course the same drivers. Hartke LH500 is more of an old school amp, passive tone stack eq, tube in preamp with warm, tubey but clean tone while ha 5500 is more advanced design with a lot more eq versatility. I think you would be happier with lh500 and if you get it, its a must to learn to eq it properly.
  3. Stingray5

Stingray5 Supporting Member

I have both a HA3500 and LH 500 and I like the 3500 much better. I love the tube preamp and the graphic eq.. I couldn't get used to the strange eq on the LH500 and it was just very boomy for me. I say go for the HA5500.
  4. Dead Boy

Dead Boy

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: WBGear.com and SIT Strings
    IMO i wud go with the HA5500.

Ive been rocking that head for a lil under a year, and i have no complaints. I run it thru 2 210xl cabs (hartke) and its great for the venues ive played so far, and awesome in jam too.
  5. andy67

andy67

I have an LH1000 partnered with an AK410 cab. Amazing power and tone! Tone shaping eq very simple to use and the tube heats up the front end nicely.
  6. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Disclosures:
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    If you need access to alotta EQ then the HA5500 or well even the 3500 has plenty of power.

If you can get by without as many EQ options, I'd save up the extra $ and get the LH1000. The LH500 is cool, but for not much more $ you get a ton more power, output options and the blend knob.
  7. churchpark

churchpark Supporting Member

I will soon be A and B ing the LH500 vs HA5500. For right now it is true that the LH500 is very versatile for that old school vintage sound with plenty of pump, but I am a high end sizzle player with that tubish flow. This amp in no way can give it, therefore I am going to try the HA5500 for more coloration. Most amps with a MID-SCOOP feature usually produces this and I hope I can acheive that with either the EQ band or just the contour control on the 5500. All I can do is cross my fingers. :(
  8. free_Bassd

free_Bassd

I am having the same issue. i play in a blues band and like the versatility of the 5500 but the lh1000 is described as having an "old school" sound. and that's way cool to me! is there really that much difference in sound?
  9. churchpark

churchpark Supporting Member

10. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

I have an older 3500 (like the HA)and love the EQ. Many, many, many tonal possibilities. I can easily coax some old school vintage sounds from it by throwing a sansamp in front of it. I'm no pro but I know what sounds good and my 3500 sounds great. I thought I would hate all the extra's of the Hartke but have grown to love it. Don't get me wrong the LH seems like a killer amp so it all comes down to preference. Personally I would go with the HA.

Currently I am running a 3500 with 115-XL and 210-XL cabs.
  11. free_Bassd

free_Bassd

really!? well that's good to know. I really don't know anything about bass electronics though :/ what's a sansamp? like the pedals?
  12. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

13. Newbie-Doo

Newbie-Doo

So did you end up getting either of the Hartke heads?