Hartke HX112 de-chrome conversion

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by synterx, Mar 3, 2014.

1. synterx

synterx Supporting Member

I know there are others who just don't care for the nickle/chrome handle and corners on these killer little cabs. The HX112 has really been an eye opener for me. Perfect weight, the 4/8 ohm switch, the size, the sheer volume, everything is killer. But I just didn't like the looks that much.

So, here's what I decided to do. New corners, and a new handle.

Issues:
    1. The handle was a direct drop in. However, hartke used bolts, not screws. So, unless I can hunt down black screws just like what the originals are, I'm stuck with the chrome heads. I actually kind of like the look and will probably leave the screws in chrome.

2. The corners were going to be replaced with black metal ones, just like the originals. However, they are not your standard size corners. They are a bit bigger and different shape than the standard black corners I can find. They leave a noticeable weird coloring in the tolex because the new corners weren't nearly big enough to cover where the old ones were.

3. So, I put the plastic corners on just like my Genz Benz NeoX-212T cabinet. Covers all the holes, and looks pretty cool.

Now I have to put the rubber feet on the left side like the original owner had done. He used the hole on the corner pieces as to not add another hole, but I'm just going to screw them down next to the plastic corners. I use it on it's side all the time.

That's it. Cost me $35.00 worth of parts, which $16.00 of is shipping, and 8 screws for the handle that I can't use.

I think it looks pretty cool now.

Attached Files:

2. Flatbass

Flatbass

Nice!

Just curious, is it possible to remove the Hartke and Hydrive logos for an even cleaner look?

3. synterx

the logos are not sitting flat on the grill. The grill is dented inward, so if you removed the logos, you'd have weirdish dents where the logos were. Could probably get a grill made for cheap though, I've seen places that do that. I actually like the logos, and don't mind the silver grill. But the rest of it was just hideous looking to me.

4. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

can you tell me where you got your parts. Love to do this to my HX112

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. synterx

I decided to get a 2nd cab, and just ordered the parts from speakerbuildersupply.com.

You need the Large plastic stackable corners, and the Small size 1" tube handle. I also put the rubber feet on the side of the cabs so you can stack them vertically for a bit more height.