1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Hartke hydrive 410 vs Hartke AK410

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Needenaneden, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Needenaneden

Needenaneden

I've been reading for hours trying to figure out if I should order the Hartke hydrive 410 or the Hartke AK410 to go under my Hartke Lh500. Is the difference between these cabs that noticeable in a band situation?

I can't try out either cab in person so I am going to have to go with what I've read. I play mainly classic rock/metal, a fair bit of Rush...sometimes country and once in awhile venturing in to jazz. Would the Ak410 suit me best?

I see Geezer is using the Ak410s. If you have seen him live, how is his tone with these cabs?

Thanks.
  2. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

I have played through both (with the LH500)....and I personally prefer the AK410 ....it sounds warmer and more classic old school than the Hydrive.

My guitard player liked the Hydrive 4x10 better if that tells you anything...seems to have a more modern sound and a bit of zing to it!!

In the End I went with an Avatar Cab..lol
  3. backin82

backin82 Jack of a Few Trades Supporting Member

Which model Avatar did you go with? Just curious...

I'm kinda testing the market for Hartke HyDrive, Avatar, and other decent 410 cabs.
  4. Needenaneden

Needenaneden

I priced out the Avatar and it would cost me here in Canada more to get it over the Ak410.
  5. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

Haha, I agree, which is why I prefer the sound of the Hydrive. which to me sounds cleaner and less colored in comparison to the AK.
  6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

I used to own and gig a HyDrive 410 and I've played the AK, albeit, not in a gig situation. I was a bit skeptical trying out the AK, as I've been left kind of flat by Hartke's previous paper cone offerings. I was quite impressed! The AK really nailed the punchy, old school sealed vibe while still having a lot of clarity. The cross-over point between the drivers and horn seemed to be really well thought out as there seemed to be a pretty smooth frequency shift between them. As Swamp and Snake suggested, the HyDrive is a bit more focused and modern sounding. But it's still has that same punch as the AK due to being sealed.

The only reason I got rid of the HyDrive is because its speakers seemed to over-exert way too easily when playing it with a tube amp. It was completely fine taking solid-state power. I don't know if that was just an issue with my specific cab or if the AK series would have that same issue.