Hartke hydrive 410 vs Hartke AK410

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Needenaneden, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Needenaneden

Needenaneden

I've been reading for hours trying to figure out if I should order the Hartke hydrive 410 or the Hartke AK410 to go under my Hartke Lh500. Is the difference between these cabs that noticeable in a band situation?

I can't try out either cab in person so I am going to have to go with what I've read. I play mainly classic rock/metal, a fair bit of Rush...sometimes country and once in awhile venturing in to jazz. Would the Ak410 suit me best?

I see Geezer is using the Ak410s. If you have seen him live, how is his tone with these cabs?

Thanks.

2. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

I have played through both (with the LH500)....and I personally prefer the AK410 ....it sounds warmer and more classic old school than the Hydrive.

My guitard player liked the Hydrive 4x10 better if that tells you anything...seems to have a more modern sound and a bit of zing to it!!

In the End I went with an Avatar Cab..lol

3. backin82

backin82 Jack of a Few Trades Supporting Member

Which model Avatar did you go with? Just curious...

I'm kinda testing the market for Hartke HyDrive, Avatar, and other decent 410 cabs.

4. Needenaneden

Needenaneden

I priced out the Avatar and it would cost me here in Canada more to get it over the Ak410.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

Haha, I agree, which is why I prefer the sound of the Hydrive. which to me sounds cleaner and less colored in comparison to the AK.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

I used to own and gig a HyDrive 410 and I've played the AK, albeit, not in a gig situation. I was a bit skeptical trying out the AK, as I've been left kind of flat by Hartke's previous paper cone offerings. I was quite impressed! The AK really nailed the punchy, old school sealed vibe while still having a lot of clarity. The cross-over point between the drivers and horn seemed to be really well thought out as there seemed to be a pretty smooth frequency shift between them. As Swamp and Snake suggested, the HyDrive is a bit more focused and modern sounding. But it's still has that same punch as the AK due to being sealed.

The only reason I got rid of the HyDrive is because its speakers seemed to over-exert way too easily when playing it with a tube amp. It was completely fine taking solid-state power. I don't know if that was just an issue with my specific cab or if the AK series would have that same issue.