1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Hartke Hydrive owners/fans...what say you??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jjk2007, Apr 10, 2014.

1. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

I love my Hydrive 410 but always struggled with the abundance of silver/light gray so I did a little grill modification today. I like it much better now. Anyone else??

[​IMG]

Tbone76 and Moosehead1966 like this.
  2. DuShauh

DuShauh Supporting Member

I like it !! I removed the badges on mine, and left the grill original. But I like that look; I may have to try that. Good Job !

3. rusanderson

rusanderson

Wow, that looks sweet!

I don't own one yet, but it's on my short list for a new purchase. How is the tone of these? I've heard complaints because it's not ported?

4. jjk2007

I have no issue getting tones for days out of mine.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    It being sealed is one of the best parts. I love mine.

Attached Files:

7. Tomkat8

Tomkat8 Supporting Member

Can anyone explain the difference in sound of the hydrives compared to the older all aluminum cones, not meaning to hijack the thread, but was wondering. I have a 210 xl and haven't tried the new speakers but have been wondering. Btw the black grill looks great.

8. rusanderson

rusanderson

BTW - what was your process? Did you have to strip down the grill before painting?

9. jjk2007

It's been a while since I've played the old 410 cabs. I do have a kickback 12 with the all aluminum speaker and it does have a certain midrange bump to it that I feel only comes from it being aluminum. The Hydrive has a smoother tone to it but still gets that growl to cut through. IMO YMMV

I just used a can of flat black paint I had in the garage. Just put a nice even coat on first thing this morning, let it dry and then put another nice coat on a few hours later. I always transport it with its cover on so I'm not concerned with it getting torn up and the paint coming off.

10. Tbone76

Tbone76

It looks nice like that. I've been meaning to do the same thing, but up until this week it's been too cold to paint in the garage. After seeing yours it's convinced me to do the same. It'll match my AK115 better that way.

11. edencab

edencab

+1000 :hyper:

I bet it even sounds better!

12. rusanderson

rusanderson

Agreed on the all aluminum. I have a Hartke 210xl and GK 210BLX that I stack. I like the brightness of the Hartke, but it can be a little harsh, so added the GK to "mellow" it out a bit.

I've heard the Hydrive can accomplish the same thing.

13. Moosehead1966

Moosehead1966

I just 'messed myself'. :eek: That is what I pictured in my head.. Thank you very much for this. I will be replicating this process and..God willing..The outcome too! ( I am not the handiest person around:meh:)

Marc

14. beast326

beast326

I currently have a Hydrive 410 and want to buy the Hydrive 115. Running the LH1000 in mono bridged mode. Will I have a power problem if the 115 is 8 ohm and the 410 is 4 ohm? KILLER tone I had at Samash but he wouldn't show me or tell me the setup in the back. He wouldn't move the cabs so I could see. He said he didn't have time and I wasn't able to do it. Please help me out before I buy it.

15. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    If your going to mix speakers run each from 1 power amp.

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

17. jjk2007

Lol! I used Rust-Oleum flat black. Just make sure wherever you paint is well lit so you can see what's going on. Like I said, I did a first coat, let dry for around an hour and then did a second coat. Just keep moving and don't get the can to close or you can get runs in the paint. It's really pretty easy. I posted this on FB and Ted Nugents bass player commented that his bass tech paints all his HyDrives like this too.

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Media:
    That looks really nice that way. A big improvement for sure.

19. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Media:
    Switch off of bridged mono.
    Run one cab off of each poweramp, then use the balance control to blend the cabs to your taste.
    Plus, I would tell that salesman to pound sand and buy it somewhere else. Make sure that you tell him you bought it elsewhere because he couldn't take the necessary time with you.

20. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

Both speakers are rated to handle all the power that amp can put out so that should not be a problem (225W @ 8Ω, 320W @ 4Ω per channel). What is a problem though is the differing impedances. The Hx115 and Hx410 have sensitivities that 1dB apart but with those impedances the 410 with get two thirds of the power and the 115 will get the remaining one third. Running them on separate channels of the amp is the way to go with them.

Are you certain your Hx410 is 4Ω? According to the Hartke website they are 8Ω and the Hx810 is 4Ω which makes sense if they use the same speakers. Regardless, it is still best to run the cabinets on separate channels of the amp.

21. schecter5string

schecter5string

I have a hx410 and I love mine, it's tight, punchy, has the bass were I need it, it's not to low, it's not muddy, and yes it's 8ohms.

My previous cab was the hartke 2200 pro. I much prefer the hydrive. Its just as punchy, but it's smoother in the mids. The old all aluminium drivers were a little honky.