1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Hartke LH1000...what's the catch?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Dugachug, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Dugachug

Dugachug

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

No catch. Class D power amps have made high power amps affordable! Special pricing shows up every once and while. You have the cash it would be a good time to act.
  3. mowburger

mowburger

:watching thread: I am also curious about this head, been out a while now but I havn't played thru one yet. (I like simple controls on an amp head)
  4. Proraptor

Proraptor

Its a nice head but i like the ha5500 better as there are more adjustments
  5. beast326

beast326

UNBELIEVABLE HEAD!!!! $500 is a KILLER Price for one!!! Honestly...I have been playing AMPEG for years but now in my 40's with a family and such, can't really afford the price tag for the Ampeg. Not to mention....Hartke has come such a long way!!! What a "Bang for your Buck"!!! And talk about Power and tone? Amaaaaaaaaaazing!!! I run mine throught the Hydrive 410 and a Hydrive 115 with Fender Basses. It's the tone I was searching looking to get for years. You will NOT be disappointed!!! Spend the cash and get one, my opinion is that it will smoke any head out there for that price. But then again...that's just my opinion buddy.:bassist:
  6. Dugachug

Dugachug

as of 2009, it is the only amp Victor Wooten uses, also used by David Ellefson of Megadeth, so it's pretty safe to say these are far from toys.
  7. joelb79

joelb79

I do not think that the LH1000 is a Class D design. It has a very large power transformer; which is not the style of a Class D design. I believe this is Class-AB power- with a standard tube preamp; and perhaps If I'm looking right a form of SMPS. The transformer looks pretty identical in size to the one in my 1990's HA7000.

[​IMG]
  8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

They can be had new for under $400.
  9. B-string

The transformer means it is a line frequency power supply and not SMPS (your transformer reference). You are right I think about the output class though, I thought they were class D. From the looks of that it is either class AB or H not D. My bad.
  10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

The catch is that its 31.90LBS. Add a rack case to that and you are easily looking at 40LBS.
  11. Tractorr

Tractorr

I think it is also that it doesn't have a ton of bells and whistles. I tend to like simpler heads but some people want 20 knobs to tweak.
  12. joelb79

joelb79

I think it's a great design, I just wish it came with an active parametric EQ to compliment the tone stack. The weight and rack-mount are a turn off to some, and not to others.
  13. 5port

5port

A little odd that the only speakon connector on the amp is in the bridge position. The other four speaker connectors are 1/4 chassis type. This is limiting for the person who likes to use speakons.
  14. redhed

redhed TUBE LOVER! Gold Supporting Member

Oh my, 31.90LBS!
  15. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm a total weight wuss. My power amp is 21LBS and I am not happy!

I like my 5LB mb800 alot. :hyper:
  16. redhed

redhed TUBE LOVER! Gold Supporting Member

I hear what your saying, But I use a SVT/810 set-up and I believe you should just use what sounds the BEST to you. Worry about moving the stuff later!!
  17. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

Weight, size, simplicity of features and brand perception are the reason it's a bargain.
  18. B-string

As far as I know you have to move it in before you can play it? ;) If he said he doesn't like the sound of his rig I missed it.
  19. TheRealKong

TheRealKong

Loved the LH 500, love the LH 1000 even more! It's a steal!

And it is a Class A/B - Poweramp. Nothing else. :D
  20. pfschim

pfschim Supporting Member

iron tranny for sure and the LH's are surprisingly heavy. Surprising because they look relatively smallish until you pick one up.

but that being said, they are a total steal on an "Alembic F1-X pre through a SS power amp" type rig. I used an LH500 for a month or so of gigs a few years ago and was very satisfied by the sound quality.