Hartke Model 2000....2.67 ohm?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bryan gibson, Nov 8, 2012.

1. ....yeah I know the head is marked as a 4 ohm minimum, but.....

has anyone actually tried it? Is the 4ohm rating a "true" rating (before meltdown) or is it a bit conservative in nature? Long story short, I've got matching SWR cabs, 210 8 ohm, and 410 4 ohm, which I generally run seperately. In case of a "volume emergency" I'd like to daisy chain the cabs. Yeah, I know, a second similar head is only $200 used so why not put two heads in the rack, right:)

2. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

Pushing amps past the 4 ohm limit (if so rated) is fraught with danger.

IMHO it's not worth it...if the amp's not rated for 2 ohms, I would not do it.

3. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

4. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Decreasing the impedance seen by an amp increases current through the output devices. Current conduction always creates heat and excess heat kills everything. Using a second cabinet AND decreasing the impedance increases the strain on the amp's output devices and power supply. Unfortunately for those who aren't very familiar with electronics, the word 'load' is used when speakers are connected to an amplifier but decreasing the impedance really increases the load- it has to work harder to keep things working properly. If an amplifier has a protection circuit, it will usually kick in when the amp is driven hard.

Get the second amp if you want to keep playing- using only one amp will probably not work well, or for long.

5. Register to disable this ad