Hartke vs. Fender

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by pcollin, Dec 28, 2005.

1. pcollin

pcollin

Just got back from the guitar store and I've narrowed my choice down to either a Hartke 2500 (250 watt) head and 4x10 cabinet or Fender Bassman 250 w/ 2x10. Liked them both very much. I play Fender Jazz basses in a rock cover band. No popping, snapping, juggling or cartwheels. Anybody wanna weigh in on these? I gotta have a new amp by Friday for upcoming gig. Thanks!

2. bassist66

bassist66

well they are both 250 watt, so they have the same power. the hartke is gonna have more overall volume, because more speakers = more surface area (usually, but in this case it absolutely does). It depends on what you like and need, I suppose. I actually have the Fender Bassman 250/210, and I like it alot. I run my MIA dlx Jazz into in and also my MIM modded Precision. They both sound great. Another thing I like about the Fender is that it has parametric eq for mids, whereas I think the Hartke's is graphic. Thats all just personal preference I suppose, but I l like parametric more. If you're playing small/medium gigs, the Bassman 250/210 will hold up fine, it has plenty of volume (heck my neighbors can hear the vibrations and usually I don't even have the thing a 1/4 of the way up on volume). If you need more volume, the Fender also has an XLR out for use for PA's, etc (can't remember if the Hartke does or not). I give a big thumbs up for the Bassman.

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

Another nod for the Fender. I run my MIA P thru a 2x10" Bassman 400 for gigging and a 1x15" Bassman 200 for practice, and really dig both of them. Nice tone, and plenty of power to overcome a ridiculously loud drummer and two guitars.

4. ImSquare17

ImSquare17

I peed my pants a little when I read that.

My vote goes to the Fender! I think Fender will do you well for the money, they sound great, and from my experience they last!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. musicman7722

musicman7722 Supporting Member

Actually the hartke is rated at 8 ohms and the fender is at 4 ohms so there is a loud difference there. The 2500's IMHO are to underwatted, is that a word. Go for the 3500 or the fender if you want the 250 watts.

7. Dmetalbass69

Dmetalbass69

Ive had the same hartke stack and the first 3 weeks i got a cone rattle and the heads preamp "tube" power was poo. deff go for the fender

8. jimmywayne1

jimmywayne1

hands down go with hartke had mine for years no problems good tone i would go with the 3500a head though if you are planning on using a 4-10 cab

9. Hasselbalch

Hasselbalch

I own the Hartke 2500 and played through various Fender bassman amps and the Fender definitely has the Hartke beat on tone and versatility

10. j0n0j0n0

j0n0j0n0

i have the hartke 2500 and a 410tp, i think it is an amazing bass for the price i payed for it. Has a great rock tone for giving me heaps of grundgey tones behind it.

11. B String

B String Supporting Member

I know a number of guys who are very impressed with the
    Bassman series. Great features, great sound, great components.

12. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    I played through a higher end version of the Fender last week. Sounded very good.

13. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

I think in this particular situation, the Fender might have the upper hand when it comes to tone, and the Hartke for volume, but if you were looking at the Hartke 3500 with a 4.5XL, thats a killer sounding amp and cab... although obviously more expensive too...