1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Hartke vs JBL

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by The_Lucek, Dec 4, 2012.

1. The_Lucek

The_Lucek

Hi,
    I am thinking of buying a 15 inch bass speaker and building a box myself. I have a couple of choices.
    1. Hartke transient attack.....50euros
    2. Eminance........................80euros
    3. JBL K140 (rewound)..........50euros
    Have in mind I have a tight budget.
    So what do you recommend??
    I also have a 10 inch that is stellar.
    I run it through a 15w all tube amp.
    Recently I got a twin of that amp and need another cab and somebody recommended the 15. Said that it will give more bass.
    Because it is 15w it needs to be extremely sensitive.

The amp is a Ei Torrero 1965. I doubt that you have heard of it.

2. bgavin

bgavin

K140 is a nice, but very dated driver.
    If it was reconed with a factory JBL kit, and they have proof, it is worth it.
    If reconed with an non-JBL kit, skip it.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Can you be specific about what model Eminence? They have a few different drivers that sound good in a standard 115 box.

4. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    I love the sound of JBL K140's if its genuine get it, you won't regret it.:bassist:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

BGavin is right - the K140 is old! They weren't even that good back in the day when they were current.

7. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Ooops - I forgot you put that Hartke on your list.
    It sounds like I'm being negative - but if the Hartke has an aluminum cone, you don't want it either! Aluminum is the wrong material to use for a speaker cone because it softens every time it moves. They don't sound right after a while and their off-axis response is poor too.

8. nysbob

nysbob

For the purpose of getting a lot of lovely sound out of a few watts, one JBL is worth a truckload of Hartke OR Emminence drivers.

One man's opinion. ;)

9. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

If the JBL has authentic parts get it. IMO it is the best bang for your buck. The JBL is a great bass speaker even today. Eminence is also very good, however if an Eminence driver costs 80 and the JBL is 50 I would buy the JBL AS LONG AS IT IS ORIGINAL. Otherwise I would go for the Eminence. Hartke aluminum coned drivers are not preferred IMO.

Edit: I will change "as long as it is original" to as long as the driver sounds ok during a test: ie no buzzing noises when played at low volume, or rubbing sounds, no holes in the cone or spider, dust cap intact, speaker frame is not bent, etc...

I bought a new K-151 back in 1976 or 1977 and still have it. Undoubtedly the most power capable deep voiced driver I have ever used. My stage rig no longer uses mixed drivers so it is a single sub rarely used but for small bars as the PA sub, it rocks to this day.

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

That's two...

I've had several D and K 140's reconed over the years. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the OEM non JBl recone kits. The real issue is the quality of the guy doing the work....

These days the Eminence 3015 is the new D140 for me...

E140's I hated e145's I hated Even more... D & K 140's were a whole other thing... Loved those.

11. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

I just re-read your post stating you have a 15 watt amp. You should really compare the sensitivity specifications for the drivers you mention if 15 watts is all you will have to drive it with. With that low power level I will say go with the most sensitive one regardless of cost. I am also going to go out on a limb here and say the Eminence may be the more sensitive if it is a modern version. Love my JBL's though...

12. The_Lucek

The_Lucek

Ok, so the hartke is going out the window.
    The eminance is a square magnet speaker of unknown model.
    The jbl, the seler sais that only the electromagnet has been changed. The cone looks ok.

13. D.M.N.

D.M.N.

Haha. Yeah, the JBL's weren't good back then:rolleyes: It's not like they were one of THE top tier speakers on the market, used widely in high quality sound systems and still highly regarded by many for their tonal qualities.

Anyways, to the OP, if you're using a low-watt amp, then my recommendation is the JBL, assuming it operates properly and sounds good. They have a very high sensitivity, and pair brilliantly with lower watt amps.

14. The_Lucek

The_Lucek

15. bgavin

bgavin

The K140 appears to be modified. The center dome is not factory stock.
    These are routinely damaged and replaced using dome kits.
    This kit is obviously not a JBL kit.

The non-JBL dome is not a big impact on the performance.
    What I cannot tell is, if the cone itself is JBL or an after market part.

FWIW, I would pass on them all.
    The K140 is a fine driver when in good condition. The rest... No.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    So aluminum softens but paper doesn't? ;)

17. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

Alls I know is that those Hydrive 15's sound amazing and they have both!

18. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Jimmy aluminium actually gets harder or work hardened and if formed into a cone often develops cracks, of course the aluminium dome cap of an original K140 won't crack but it will harden a little which is not a bad thing.:bassist:

19. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

I'm no expert on Eminence drivers but "square magnet" sounds older, so I recommend the JBL out of the choices you have given.

20. The_Lucek

The_Lucek

21. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures: