Hartke vx3500 broken replacement speaker.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bassist_Danny, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Bassist_Danny

Bassist_Danny

Hey guys, I am Daniel from Manchester, England. I have a Hartke vx3500 combo, it's getting on about 8 years old now.

Three speakers have blown on it in the past, we replaced one with a Hartke replacement maybe 3 years ago and then another 2 about 2 years ago. The more recent speakers I accidently bought Hartke aluminium speakers instead of paper. They were the right spec and it sort've looked cool and frankenstein so all was good.

Last week I turn my amp on and a gig and it's distorting/making a racket. On later inspection I realise there is a tear or crack in one of the newer aluminium speakers. I have a few questions:

1) Is it unusual for speakers to go this quickly? From my experience I would say yes, although the guy at the studio we play at reckons two years is good service. but I'm surprised it wasn't one of the older speakers.

2) What should I replace it with? My amp seems fine apart from the blown speaker so I imagine I will just repair it. Though one day I will purchase a different amp/speaker I think...

3) Any tips on the repair job? I know about impedence and wattage matches. Never repaired the speakers, my dad used to help the band loads and he would repair guitars and amps for me from being a young lad upwards but he died this year. This will be my first speaker replacement, though I'm fairly handy with teaching myself how to do these sorts of things.
  2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Sorry about the loss of your dad - I certainly miss both of mine.

Once a speaker has a torn cone it will need to be replaced. I suspect that the Al cone drivers were not suitable for your particular cabinet. You should look for a speaker repair guy in your area. He may be able to re-cone them all if Hartke can supply the cone kits.

I used to visit your city from time to time. Playing gigs and I had to take a trip up the ,then, East Lancs. to buy long scale Rotosounds for my new to me Precision. You could only get short scale strings in Liverpool at the time.