Hartke VX410 and Eden 410xlt - Power amp???

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jazzboxuz, Feb 25, 2014.

1. jazzboxuz

jazzboxuz

So, I have a Hartke VX410 and an Eden 410xlt- I have had the Hartke for a while and have been using it with a Hartke 3500. I've always liked the sound of traditional paper cones, but I have been using effects more recently and I feel like some of the subtleties of the effects are lost with the hartke cab. I wound up getting a great deal on the Eden cab, and I'm curious as to what the two cabs would sound like together. I'm sort of hoping to retain the warmth of the paper cones with added clarity and definition from the Eden cab. Both cabinets are 4ohm, the hartke is rated at 400 watts rms, the Eden is rated at 700 watts rms. any ideas? Not quite sure what to do here... I'm assuming I'll need a preamp and a "PA" style 2 channel amp that can handle 4 ohms per side. not sure about how to deal with the wattage difference between the two cabs. Thanks!:)

2. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

The bigger issue you have to worry about is their relative sensitivities. The Eden is rated at 106dB@1W/1m. I am not sure what the Hartke's rating is but they don't have any cabinets rated above 100 so it's most likely around 98 and that is considerably lower than the Eden. What this means is the Eden will play much louder than Hartke. So much louder that I am not sure they would be a good match for each other.

3. jorby

jorby

There are several ways you can go. I used to use an Eden D410XST with a Hartke 210 on top and got really nice sound out of it. I ran that through the Eden Navigator Preamp to a QSC Power Amp which I used to balance out volumes. If you chain them, will definitely be louder (in my case, it was the hartke) With the power amp, you can balance out the problem Vince was referring to as you can have separate control depending on what you use to input your signal. I personally like using a power amp with crossover and devoting the bottom of my stack to strictly low end, the eden cabinets are punchy but not super low end heavy on bottom. Pre-Amp > Power Amp is much preferable to a PA head. Bheringer has their iNuke series which can be very powerful, cheap and lightweight. From what I have seen, they are solid.

4. jazzboxuz

jazzboxuz

Thanks for the input guys, I think I'm somewhat on the right track now... Did some research on the iNuke series, there are a lot of mixed opinions on their longevity, it seems. I like the idea of having an amp powerful enough to push enough watts on each channel to have plenty of headroom on each speaker... would I be able to address the issue Vince brought up by simply adjusting the gain knobs on the amplifier for each speaker, specifically? I want to stay away from a bridged mono setup for biamping reasons down the road, as well as the ability to compress lows separately from highs, and whatever other cool stuff I might wanna try.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

As Vince alluded to, mixing dissimilar cabinets is a crapshoot. They might work together but more often the result is not optimal.

Edit: In my mind the best thing you can do is to chose which of your cabinets you like best. Then sell the other one to purchase a second identical cabinet to the one you like best.