Hartke VXL1 bass attack or Sansamp Bass DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DSBass, Nov 9, 2013.

1. DSBass

DSBass

I going to buy a DI for both live and studio use. Which of these would you recommend and why?

Thanks in advance.

2. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

I have both, and an mxr m80. IMHO the sansamp is the best. I love the tonal range, but it is also about half the size of the Hartke. In the end, it's a matter of taste. You're best option is to try them both.

3. ole Jason

ole Jason

You can usually get the Hartke for $50 used so might as well give it a try. I like it for rock but I like the sansamp a little more.

4. DSBass

DSBass

Thanks guys. I have no opportunity to try both. Are there other options as well? Besides these two in the same pricerange?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

I've had a hartke vxl bass attack preamp pedal and I thought it was pretty decent. it does have a sound similar to the sansamp bass driver, only it's a little different. besides the price range, it has a second switch to activate hartke's famous shape control. it's basically an eq-type feature. it can go from smooth and warm to bright and mid-rangy. also, it's pretty good for recording. if you're on a tight budget, the hartke bass attack pedal is pretty decent choice for a preamp pedal.

7. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Make your own opportunity. Some guys use the credit card tryout...use credit to buy several items from an online big box store with a 30-day return policy. A/B the pedals with your own bass and setup to know what it really sounds like, then return whichever you don't like.

Listen to Mr. Spent; trying each one is the only way to know what will work best for you. The Sansamp is a great product: quality build, nice feature set, lightweight. Many bass players are huge fans, and many (such as myself) just don't like the flavor. No way to know that without trying it yourself and comparing to other pedals.

As for other options, there are many. The Hartke, MXR M80 DI+, Eden WTDI in about the same price range. Bump up to Tech 21 offerings (Sansamp BDDI, VT Bass DI, deluxe versions of both), EHX Bass Big Muff Deluxe, Darkglass B7k, off the top of my head. Again, depends on your flavor and budget.

8. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I have the Hartke Bass Attack. I haven't used it as a DI yet, but usually have it on for some overdrive and overall "boost". I prefer the sound without the Shape activated. The Shape seems to add more noise and buzz than anything else.

It is a really big pedal and takes up a lot of space on my Pedaltrain Mini. I ordered a Sansamp from eBay last week and want to see if I like it better.

9. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

I'm sure the Harke Attack is a great pedal. I've had a Hartke products before and absolutely no issues on that. I prefer the SansAmp PBDDI because it`s such a versatile thing: DI, stompbox, preamp, EQ....love it.

10. q5bass

q5bass

I've been using a Hartke bass attack for about a year and it has worked well for me. I've not used a sansamp, so I can't compare the two. I use the bass attack as a preamp and DI with no amp on stage and go direct to FOH. I like the tone I get with it and I get compliments from the sound guy and other musicians about how good my tone is with it engaged. I don't like the overdrive that it has, so I have other pedals to do that. Overall, it has done well for me and I have no reason to try anything else for my preamp/DI needs.

11. Animal

Animal Supporting Member

I think you're going to get alot of back & forth here. Like others have suggested, try them out first, if you can. I've had a Sansamp for almost 10 years & absolutely love it. That pedal is on over 90% of the time. Never tried the VXL1, so no input there, just my experiance with the Sansamp. Good luck!

12. boomboom4200

boomboom4200

CT deluxe, for me this ended up being the end of my sound searching

13. boomboom4200

boomboom4200

14. DSBass

DSBass

Thanks for all answers. I got a good deal on a used Sansamp VT Bass today. Tried it and liked it. I think I will be happy with it.
    Best regards/Daniel

15. Randy S

Randy S

Regardless of what you end up with, I think it's always a good idea to have a good passive DI on hand for those places where you just can't get rid of objectionable noise because of house power and EMF issues.