1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Has any one regretted selling a certain bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Josh Emmons, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Josh Emmons

Josh Emmons

name the bass and why you sold it
  2. bassteban

bassteban

86 Jazz Special(to buy the Thumb)
    98 Thumb BO-4(didn't play 4s much at the time: I do now)
    Stambaugh fretless 4(same as #2)

Honorable mention(miss them but wouldn't use them enough to keep):
    Ken Smith BSR-6GBMW(replaced w/a Stambaugh)
    Warwick Corvette Standard 6(bought on a whim when I already had the KS)
  3. BIGBEE

BIGBEE

G&L SB 2 black with rosewood board and tort pickguard, it was a sweet bass, but i needed money at the time sigh!!
  4. Thombas

Thombas

Funny - well, sad I guess: I still get sentimental flash backs to a 86 Jazz Special I sold some 15 years ago, thinking I was gonna stop playing :rollno: due to having a bunch of kids. I'd hae liked to hung on to that, my first good bass, and would probably have found use for it as well. It was a nice, well-bult instrument.
  5. LilRay

LilRay

Disclosures:
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    My story is not one of selling but rather Not Buying. Back about 93 My Dad was buddies with a local pawn dealer. He had in his possession a Fender Jazz Bass Plus V in Blueburst, with a fretted and fretless neck. My ignorant 14 year old mind said "I don't know how to play 5 strings, and I Don't think I can play a bass without frets" Ya I'm a doofus. That's the one that got away for me.

God Bless, Ray
  6. woffle

woffle

65 Hofner senater,68 bought gibson EBO used with money

77 Rick 4001,80/81 bought Ibanez Musician new with money

The Gibson I traded for a 60's preci,strait swop.
    The preci I traded for ,wait for it ,a Framas EB3 copy(IDIOT)
    The Framas I traded for a 64 jazz which I still have.
    At present I have about 30 basses,not selling any unless I realy must.
    Yeah man young and dumb just about sums it up.
    Not allowed to buy any more,she said.Now amps and cabs,thats another tale.
    Woffle
  7. kjpollo

kjpollo Supporting Member

First the pre-EB Music Man Sting Ray, natural/maple w/black pickguard. I was getting frustrated with only getting one tone from it. Can you believe that "Only one tone"??? Utter doofus moment on my part.

Second-the Steinberger XM-2, white w/black binding. Same as the one Bill Wyman used on his final Stones tour-Steel Wheels. Was so easy to play and maintain.....I dont remember why I sold it though. I think I was scaling back at the time because I wasnt playing much

Third-later ediition Ibanez Musician in metallic pearl black. This one represented a lot of firsts for me: first neck thru, first active (and a true active/passive hybrid at that). Really it was my first "good" bass. To make matters worse, I traded it toward an Alembic Exploiter because I was trying to copy this British guy who used Alembic Expoiters and Rotosound strings. The REALLY bad part was discovering that the Exploiter body shape just doesnt work for me at all!!!!
  8. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Did somebody say "Certain Bass" ?
  9. Thedeadking

Thedeadking Supporting Member

1979 Musicman Sabre with a renished brownbody.I have a pic of me playing in the newspaer with it.

1978 or 79 Rickenbacker 4001 that had the back on the body painted red by somebody then sanded off.Had A bart in the bridge.Bought it for like $550 in 2005 and then when I sold it Rickenbacker started doubling its prices.

Curbow 5 petite with a wenge top and mahogany body.Had the extremly thin side on the body I couldnt get used to but was the best playing and sounding bass I ever owned.Traded it for a G&l l-2000.

1990 Rickenbacker with a Kahler trem.Had it for a short time but was amazing.

All of these end up being traded or sold on here Id like to no who ended up with them.
  10. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Greetings from the North,

-69 Gibson Les Paul Recording Bass

-All 3 of my 4001 Rics

-Hayman 4040

All but one of them sold due to the impatience of youth ;) The last Ric woke me up to the fact that I was liking 'happy dust' way too much and I never touched that shyte again.

Rezdog
  11. MMcC

MMcC

I regret selling my first bass, a mid 90s Fender Standard P. Never gave me problems, I didn't get squat for it, not to mention the nostalgia of having done so many punk shows and one recording in high school.

I regret selling my black on black, rosewood EBMMSR4. I was just broke.
  12. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

A pre-Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray.

Why....because I was young and stupid!
  13. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money... Supporting Member

I had a 1999 MIA P-bass with a maple fretboard that was the sweetest bass I ever played. For some stupid reason I sold it. I'd love to have it back.
  14. cdef

cdef

Ovation Magnum 1 - had to let it go to make rent. Boo hoo. I've got one just like it now, but still wish I'd had it when it would have mattered.
  15. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

'74 Precision; sold it to pay some property taxes.
  16. KaizerWilhelm

KaizerWilhelm

'06 MIA Jazz; to buy a Traben, which I promptly sold to get new pick ups on my other Jazz.
  17. Sithian

Sithian Supporting Member

Circa 1990 Fender MIJ P-Bass-

Sold to a friend who still has it- I have dibs if it ever get sold again and recently tried to buy it back to no avail- I should have held onto it- Sold it because I transitioned into 6-string-
  18. leftymike

leftymike

Ahhh yes... A G&L SB-1 (Lefty) - gold sparkle w/ MOP pickguard. I would LOVE to find that bass now.
  19. millsbass5

millsbass5

Three basses in the "regret" bin for me:

Yamaha TRB6JP
    Ken Smith "Melvin Davis"7 string
    Late 60's-early 70's Fender P-I was too young to realize what I had.I was in my mid-teens.

As for the Yamaha and the Smith,I never could get enough playing time in on those two.I just couldn't justify keeping them.But,man!!Those two just "oozed" quality & craftsmanship.
  20. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

To many !!!

1963 CAR P-bass. (traded for a 1966 Jazz Bass)
    1968 Gibson EB-1 (traded for a 1954 Kay C-1 upright)
    Sold two 1966 white Jazz basses.

Just a few of the gas related dumb moves I've made in the past.

I'm sure I'll make a few more?:help: