Has any one reliced a bass ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mixnulty, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Mixnulty

Mixnulty

I was wondering if people have ever relic'ed a bass at home or dinged one up on purpose. I know this isn't for every one but it would be fun to see pictures none the less.:D
  2. PWRL

PWRL Supporting Member

I've seen some threads around on the subject. I've never done it on purpose, but it seems to be getting done on my Jaguar regardless.
  3. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    I did one. It got a pretty big ding at the repair shop when they were routing for the battery box. So, it took it as an opportunity to beat it up a little more.
  4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Yeah I was stringing up my old Squier on the back patio on a hot day. I left it laying over a chair for a second to run inside the next thing you know...Crash.
    She skidded across the cement and reliced the bottom edges of the body real nice like :smug:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

I relic'd my 69 jazz bass. I started in 1976 when I bought it, and I'm still working on it. Mostly wearing down the finish, a few paint chips here and there, and some sweet corrosion on the metal parts. The bridge cover is new, but that is the only new part.

[​IMG]
  7. Mikio

Mikio

My first bass is all screwd up. Anyway, I HATE reliced basses, I die everytime inside when I see one u_u

I do kind of dig the ESP ones though, but they'd be much better unreliced
  8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Such a big topic with so little insight available. Send me PM.
  9. ROOTS_n_FIFTHS

ROOTS_n_FIFTHS Previously rootsnfifths Supporting Member

I think it would be fun to do. I love a relic'd bass. I know the Fender Road Worns all look the same but still like to look at them!
    I am curious if anyone has any stories....

-Roots
  10. bray101

bray101 Supporting Member

Bought a hardshell case off of Craigslist, and the kid I bought it from said I could have the bass that was inside the case for an extra $10 sight unseen. Figured how bad could it be for $10?!? Turns out it was a pretty beat up Mexi Fender Jazz. I had wanted to make my own fretless, so I took this opportunity to make it happen on the fast track.

Pulled the frets, filled them. Stained the new fretless neck. Poly over top. Then wet sanded all the poly until I was down to the bare blue paint. Agave blue I believe?

Then went a little further in some spots and came out pretty nice! Still need to work on the nut, as the action is still pretty high for a fretless. But for $10, and about $20 in supplies, and a month of my spare time, I have a decent fretless to tinker around on.

Not too shabby! ImageUploadedByTalkBass1359093176.112226.jpg
  11. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I keep on relic'ing my Cirrus... one tiny scratch at a time.
  12. bray101

bray101 Supporting Member

Bump to see the relics!
  13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

This one here got genuine wear and tear ... The front was clean but the back got some wear.

[​IMG]

This bass here is one of my SG Frankenstein parts basses. I got the body from ebay. It was really pretty and had a nice gloss finish, but also a few deep scratches. So I thought a mild relic job was in order.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos Supporting Member

Here we go again with a bunch of "I relic'd mine over the blah, blah, blah years that I have had it..." and "I hate relic's, why would anyone do this on purpose..."

I don't feel the need to go to threads on say, green basses, and say how much I hate them or "my sweat from the last blah, blah, blah years turned my bass green..."

To the OP, yes people do, some more successfully than others. I personally like a good relic on a Jazz or Precision especially.
  15. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

I did it once....about 10 years ago to my Mexican Fender P-Bass....I regretted it almost immediately. Funny thing is I put it on ebay and it sold for about what I paid for it ($300).
  16. bassmanbiff

bassmanbiff

No, no one has ever "relic'd" a bass intentionally.
  17. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have never done it and don't plan to.

(My basses never had "lice" so I could I "relice" them)
  18. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I'm sort of relicing my 60th Ann P.

What I mean is that while I'm not being aggressive with it like sanding or dipping metal parts in acid or whatever, I'm doing other things to speed the aging process along.

Like for instance, leaving it on a stand where it'll get sunlight while not playing it (which isn't that often, really), or "accidentally" leaving it in the cold garage overnight and bringing it inside to the warm in the morning. A few finish checks happened from this, but they wiped right off with light finger pressure (seriously, I've got video).

The body gets dinged up because its never in the case, and is yellowing slightly from its tanning sessions. So I'm relicing it, since its all wear and tear that happened without leaving the house, but it's happening naturally as well, just faster and more controlled.
  19. Lorbass

Lorbass

I did this last year:

Attached Files:

20. Mixnulty

Mixnulty

That looks sweet! ^^
  21. kevmc28

kevmc28

I'm embarrassed for anyone I see playing an artificially relicked instrument.