Has anybody seen or played through these Carvin 3-Ways?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by SRCRS, Feb 10, 2013.

1. SRCRS

SRCRS

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Looks like a monster of sound but at 72 lbs it looks like a bear to move around.

3. SRCRS

SRCRS

Yeah the weight is a bit up there. I think it's kinda cool that a larger manufacturer is getting into the multi-driver, Super-12/15 type of cabinets.

4. lizardwizard28

lizardwizard28

Wow, might make me reconsider the avatar tb153...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SRCRS

SRCRS

Can't tell if that was sarcasm or not exactly. But if you get the avatar be sure to let us know how it sounds.

7. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The concern with the Carvin cabs is there are no published specs on the woofers they use. Nothing they offer even comes close to the 3015LF driver, and the woofer is key to a good 3 way. You can get the Avatar with the 8 Ohm 3015LF, which would be the only cab from avatar I would consider.

8. lizardwizard28

lizardwizard28

Oh not sarcasm. I was 99% sure on the avatar. Ive never used them but they get great reviews here. Ive used carvin and they are also great. The prices are so close that its tuff to decide. Avatar has rediculouse aesthetic options in its favor.

9. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Which woofer did you go with in your avatar?

10. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Unless stated as neo they use their PS series drivers in their cabs http://www.carvinguitars.com/manuals/tsp.html

11. SRCRS

SRCRS

Thanks for the clarification! Something else in favor of the Avatar, besides the speaker options and aesthetics, is that it's 11 lbs lighter than the Carvin. Could save yourself some back problems in the future!

12. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    A better cab would be the Carvin LS1503, a 3 way PA cab. there is a mega thread on this cab that was actually started by Greenboy. The 3015LF is a drop in replacement, along with the 18Sound mid. A fEARful on the cheap.

13. SRCRS

SRCRS

Hey thanks for the info!! A link to the thread would help me out, if it's not to much trouble

14. puremusic

puremusic

15. SRCRS

SRCRS

Thanks puremusic! How does the LS1503 sound? Did you modify it with the kappa lite 3015LF and the 18Midsound? Or are you just playing it stock?

16. seamonkey

seamonkey

I bet these make good FOH cabinets :D

Funny how the 1503 made a good bass cabinet
    Then a few mods made it a better bass cabinet
    Then they roll out the BRX15.3, while their top of line FOH systems are now line arrays
    Eventually well see the bass amps going line array, 8x10 again, but this time with mids and highs being treated appropriately without the cancellation of a regular bass 8x10 :ninja:

17. puremusic

puremusic

I am playing the LS1503 with the stock speakers and it sounds great. I have added batting and i will add bracing then I will do the upgrades of the speakers. I can see where the woofer upgrade will be beneficial because of the limited excursion of the original 15.

18. SRCRS

SRCRS

This 1503 looks pretty awesome. I've been reading through the megathread on it. Greenyboy seemed impressed with it as it was stock. As did another TB'er. I wonder if Carvin has changed anything to the design since 2007 when the thread was started.

19. Carvinmanbass

Carvinmanbass

I bought an MB12 ,I wanted the extra watts to use with an ext. cabinet for small bar type gigs.
    I own a Gallien-Krueger MB150S & extension which I was gonna trade off & use the Carvin.
    For larger gigs, I have two custom Lopo Line cabs. loaded with Eminence Delta 12lf speakers,and power it with a Gallien-Krueger MB500.
    Back to the Carvin. Right out of the box it had a buzzing sound while playing an E note,especially the E on the "A"
    string. To me it sounded like the plywood in the cabinet had some delamination, not sure about that.
    I sent it back to Carvin.

I must say the tone did not seem as good as my small G_K
    amp (the MB150s ,which has served me well for several years. I might need more time to mess around with the eq on the new Carvin MB12 to get satisfactory tone, but it
    did not seem as clean, on the other hand it was loud & powerful, I will up-date you when they send a replacement
    in about ,I guess two weeks, it was custom tweed covering that might take more time.

it's March 10 as I type.