1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Has anybody tried a Labella Olinto?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IAmACrocodile, Feb 24, 2014.

1. IAmACrocodile

IAmACrocodile

Hello everybody! :)

Just curious as to whether anyone here has ever played or owned one of Labella's Olinto basses? I realise that they were given something of a muted/lukewarm reception here at TB, but that seemed to be more of a response to the concept (yet another P-bass clone, etc...) than to the actual instruments themselves. I would love to hear from anybody who has played one, what their impression of it was, whether there was anything which stood out about it immediately (good or bad), and so on.

Many thanks, bass brothers and sisters! :bassist:
  2. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

I also wonder if anyone spent the 3 grand necessary for one.

They sound good though. I love this motown-ey rendition of The Chicken.
  3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

That video also clearly shows how Colin Kaepernick of the 49ers spends his offseason.

Plenty of builders offer their take on a 4 string, passive Pbass for north of 2 grand (Lull, Alleva-Coppolo, Sadowsky, Valenti, even FBass now) so it isn't like it's a ridiculous asking price, but I think it's hard for someone to go out on a limb and pay that price when the other companies mentioned have a lot more traction and a better reputation.
  4. IAmACrocodile

IAmACrocodile

Thankyou both for your replies! :)

3234718 - one of the players in the Youtube video, Juninho Braga, has posted another video which is more of a straightforward demo of the Olinto, as opposed to a tune. Not being able to speak Portuguese, I can't tell you what he is saying, but I'm guessing that he likes it as he is playing it in his avatar, and he uses it in one or two other videos. :) I must say that the tone appeals very much to my ears - but who knows how much of that comes from the bass, and how much is the result of mic placement, eq'ing, playing technique, etc? Nonetheless, I like the tone, so here is the video! :)

Any of our members played one in person yet? :bassist:
  5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:
    No but if like. Mas Is a fantastic builder
  6. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Mas Hino is as good as it gets, so I would not hesitate to buy one if I was in the market for a top of the line passive P!
  7. bassie12

bassie12

When it comes to reputation, nobody tops Mas. Some are more well known, that's all.
  8. IAmACrocodile

IAmACrocodile

^^^ Agreed. I have never heard anybody speak about Mas Hino's work in anything other than superlatives. Comments such as "the best neck I have ever played", or "the most expressive instrument I have ever touched" tend to be used when Mas' guitars are around... No doubt that these would be lovely basses, but they do seem to be pretty scarce!

Can we rustle up a Talkbass member who has played one? :hyper:
  9. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

From that youtube video, I'm sure it's a very good bass.
    Seems it can be compared to, say, a Pino Custom Shop Precision..

But yeah..$3000...ouch..is it worth that much?

Which one to chose if you have to chose between this La Bella Olinto and Fender Custom Shop Pino P-Bass?
    (Both are 'major priced' for me this time, actually LOL )

Anyone ever try them / has a clear opinion on this?
  10. donn

donn

He doesn't have a lot to say about the bass, that I could make out. Maravilhoso, literally "marvelous", wonderful, etc.