1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Has anybody tried out Aguilar Super Singles ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DrumsAndBass, Feb 27, 2014.

1. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass

2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

I wish I could help you, unfortunatly not. Though I want to hear an answer as bad as you! :p
  3. Kephah

Kephah

Ordered a set just waiting to refinish my bass and then its a full electronics upgrade. OBP 3 with Super Singles and full copper sheilding. Adding a tone knob to the regular 3 band setup too. I can't wait to finish this rebuild just need some warmer weather for a few days...
  4. Down_Low

Down_Low

Kephah I'm thinking of putting together something similar. Really looking forward to hearing your impressions of the super singles with an OBP3. Keep us updated.
  5. Kephah

Kephah

Update for the three people that were interested. The Super Singles are really nice, it is taking some getting used to. I was used to a massive very complex low end sound when boosting the bass. The SS are just kinda UN-complex, don't get me wrong they are thunderous. The best way I can descibe the lower frequencies is the SS are like one big clap of thunder during a storm, where as the MK1s were more like rolling thunder-just layer upon layer of low frequency. Now the mids and high end are where things really shine for me now-the harmonics really jump out of the strings. This is with the same type of strings (SIT Nickles) and setup as before the reworking of the bass. It really is a totally new instrument now. The highs are so smooth and sweet not harsh and brittle like the MK1s were. One thing about adding the Tone control, if set up like the diagram on Best Bass Gear it is a Master Tone- it effects the Active and Passive modes. I was told by Best Bass Gear that it would only be effective in passive mode, but that isn't the case. Still it is very useable and it has added an almost infinite sound pallet to work with. Overall I am very very pleased withe these pickups and preamp.
  6. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

How do these compare to the Nordstrand Big Singles?
  7. husky123

husky123 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I agree with your assessment good sir! I have a set in my Spector Forte SS and they are MASSIVE sounding. I have them wired active/passive in concert with an OBP-2. Just a touch of bass boost in active mode and they definitely bring the pain. They are a very mid-forward, articulate sounding pickup. Mids seem to be very organic and way more present than, say... a run of the mill single coil. In fact, I have to keep my bridge position pickup wound down a good amount because (to me) it can get almost too barky in the mids. Overall, I'm very happy with the Super Singles though.

Attached Files:

Kephah likes this.