Has anyone been to Costa Rica or Puerto Rico?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Duuuuuuuuuude, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

I got bumped from a flight and got a $400 flight voucher. I'm thinking of taking a trip but I'd like to keep the costs down. Any recommendations on these locations?
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I've been to both places and they're both great. A better time than some other Caribbean islands I've been to.

I'm sure Hawaii, Puerto Rico and Costa Rica are all very different places, but it seems to me like me going on vacation from New York to New Jersey. Wouldn't a trip somewhere very different from where you live be more fun?
  3. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

I was in Costa Rica a few years ago with my family. It was the most enjoyable vacation we've ever had.
    I believe the area we stayed in was called Jaco.
    There were so many fun things to do.
    If you go you have to try zip-lining.
  4. Monster Truck

Monster Truck Supporting Member

Come to Pennsylvania and build a snowman.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

I loved Costa Rica. The Best Western Downtown hotel is cheap. And depending on if you want a real taste of San Jose it's a great place to start.

Get the tour "bus" and see the country.

It's not that big. Check out the volcanoes at Arenial. And the Hot springs.
  7. bmc

bmc

I've been to Puerto Rico. I haven't been to Costa Rica, but what I do know of it, I believe it's a better choice of destination.
  8. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

I moved to Colorado a little while back. Guess I forgot to change my TB profile
  9. itchyfingers

itchyfingers

I'm staying at a beach house in Playa Negra (Costa Rica - Pacific Coast) in March. The photos alone are making me want to be there right now. Looks epic...
  10. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Playa Negra is killer. Great right hander.

If you go to Costa Rica, get out of San Jose. It's pretty much just another big city. Head to the coast. I've explored the Nicoya Peninsula. It's on the Pacific Side of Costa Rica. When I went, Tamarindo was kind of the main town although still rustic, but now it's become quite developed with resorts and golf courses. Still a beautiful area with really fun surf. My favorite part of this peninsula is Santa Teresa/Malpais area. Gorgeous area with fun surf. Great food too. Lots of fresh fish.

Here's a great starting point.

http://www.nicoyapeninsula.com/
  11. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Oooh...the foods better in PR. They know how to cook pork down there.

CR has more nature-y type things to do.
  12. pedroims

pedroims

I have been in Costa Rica several times, first time was in 2005 last time last year. Great country. From volcanos to beatiful beaches, night life to coffee plantations. Surfing, hiking, dancing, tasty food.

Stay in San Jose and do the tours to the volcanos and rain forest. Go to the Pacific or Caribe and spend some days in the beaches: San Antonio, Tamarindo.

Expect something like this while you are there:

[​IMG]
  13. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

You mean it's full of middle aged guys getting day drunk? Sounds like my kind of place
  14. pedroims

pedroims

well, we were there for work :hyper: six weeks of suffering :smug:...best thing is that we started working in a new project that will demand us to go there 6-7 times at year..cant wait
  15. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

My wife is from Costa Rica. Just echoing what others here have said - it's worth it. Go. Now.
  16. deeptubes

deeptubes

Been to PR twice. My first impression was that it is essentially Old San Juan, rainforest, and ghetto. I'd never seen iron bars on the top floor balcony of a 30+ story building or graffiti on a 400 year old building before, or since for that matter. I'm sure the entire island isn't like that, but first impressions endure.
  17. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

Has anyone ever been to the Costa Rica Sloth Sanctuary?
  18. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

my parents loved puerto rico. and my dad is a livin in the mountains hunting bull elk kind of guy.
  19. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

I don't know how you guys can go to all of these nice places and wanna go home. Living in Winnipeg, with the -40 weather we've been getting, I wouldn't be looking back!!
  20. gttim

gttim

Was in PR about 12 years ago. Spent about 4 nights in Fajardo on the east side of the island. Very nice. Took the ferry to Vieques one day- horses roaming wild. Hiked the rain forest another. Drove out to the Arecibo radio telescope, which is like 20 miles down what you think is a driveway. Spent a day in Old San Juan. This was November and weather was great. We got a discount because it was hurricane season.

Next time I am going to Rincon.

All that being said, unemployment in PR is incredibly high. Anything you let out of your hand will be stolen. Everybody has metal bars over windows. Places for tourists tend to be kept clean, other parts are trashed. So, similar to most Caribbean Islands.

What really amazed me was the traffic. I drive in Atlanta traffic all the time- drove as a courier for years while in college. PR's traffic was unlike anything I ever saw. The first highway I got on had 2 lanes in each direction. There were 4 lines of traffic- they used both shoulders as lanes. It was just insane! My GF at the time refused to drive at all.
  21. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio!

Disclosures:
    Applications Engineer, QSC Audio
    Wow, is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?