1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Has anyone built a Warmoth Bass? Looking for Opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bhoff5150, Mar 26, 2014.

1. bhoff5150

bhoff5150 Supporting Member

I like jazz basses, but I would LOVE something unique. I've looked at the Fender Custom Shop, but I'm not convinced it's worth the money. So - has anyone used any Warmoth parts or built a bass from scratch with Warmoth bodies/necks. How is their quality? They have a ridiculous amount of options and wood combinations which makes them intriguing. Looking for opinions and experiences both good and bad. Thanks!!

2. joeeg33

joeeg33

There is definitely lots of info here on Warmoth. I have built several over the years, Warmoth stuff is top notch!

3. Mechanical

Mechanical

4. Jaco D

Jaco D

I built a Gecko around eight years ago. The quality is top drawer and the customer service is second to none. You can't go wrong with them. Their current website has a lot of information which can help you a lot as far as "spec-ing" out your axe-to-be. Some of their stuff might be more expensive than other suppliers but it all worth it if you ask me.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

I built a telejazz 4 string using a Warmoth tele bass neck, squier(?) j body that I bought used, Hipshot hardware and Lollar J pups. No dead spots anywhere, tone for days, love this bass ...

[​IMG]

Here's a link to the build -
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/tele-jazz-works-831861/

7. KyleSerlington

KyleSerlington

i made 2 p-basses with warmoth parts and the parts are very good quality. there's a couple things i wish i did different on my first bass though but that's my fault, not theirs

8. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

I made a frankenbass out of a Squier J body with a Warmoth neck. It' unlined fretless teak/ebony. I'm only aware of one other neck like it. I absolutely love the feel of this neck and would recommend Warmoth anytime.

9. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

10. M0ses

M0ses

Warmoth makes great quality parts, and they have really good customer service. I had an issue with a body I got from them, and they did an excellent job making the situation "right" for me. The neck I have from them is also incredibly straight with perfect frets, though a bit hefty.

11. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

Have done 2 Warmoth builds and very happy with the results. Great way to customize to your own personal tastes.

Here's one complete w/ a MJT relic finish.
    [​IMG]

The second is presently at MJT for a closet classic Inca Silver Metallic finish.
    [​IMG]

12. Marial

Marial Three Weeks of Freedom Start Right NOW Gold Supporting Member

I'm extraordinarily happy with the neck I ordered from them for my hopped up Squier project, and I will definitely do a full Warmoth build at some point.

13. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

Oh, and a lot of folks will tell you that resale value on Warmoth basses is low. Personally, I feel that if you're buying Warmoth, you should by for yourself for the long term, not for resale.

14. themarshall

themarshall

What's the binding on #2?

15. Marial

Definitely.

16. bjabass

bjabass

Put a Warmth Jazz neck on my P bass to try and stop having to adjust the truss rod. Problem solved. Not quite as slender as Fender J neck and it does have some weight....mine was bought before they changed their "stiffening" rods to graphite. It's a rock.

17. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Yep. Warmoth body. Allparts fretless neck. Both are excellent quality.

Definitely call them to place an order. Do a lot of reading on their site, first, if you're going to custom order something. If you order from their online showcase, you can actually see pictures and the weight of what you're getting first.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

It's black/ white/ black/ pearloid.
    [​IMG]

19. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

BAck in the late 90s I got a Warmoth bass that I bought second-hand (so it was already assembled) and it was my main fretless for ~5 years. It was ~85-90% an awesome bass and ~10-15% disappointing...but I'm not sure any of that disappointment is attributable to the quality or fit & finish of the Warmoth parts. I think the bridge may have been a POS which negatively impacted the tone & sustain to some degree.

But the neck on that bass was like butter, unbelievably nice feel & shape. 7 or 8 years ago I pulled the neck off and re-used the body & electronics for a different instrument (which I still use occasionally). And just recently -- like, so recent that I haven't had a chance to post a "NBD!" thread on TB -- I took delivery of a new Warmoth body and had that original Warmoth neck mounted on it. I still need to do some finish work and wiring before I can give this new instrument a real evaluation, but fwiw the quality of the woodwork is excellent, the woods look absolutely gorgeous, and the luthier who assembled it for me said "that's gonna be a badass bass."

Will post pics when I get a chance.

20. Marial

I'm curious why you went the with the Allparts neck instead of a Warmoth neck. What was the reason for this choice?

21. Marial

That's gorgeous.