1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Has anyone ever bought a DB in the US

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Andy Mopley, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

and then taken (not shipped) to Europe or Asia, as luggage, does it work out cheaper than buying one locally? There are a lot of DB basses available there, and as I occasionally need to get to the US for work, I was thinking if it is worth considering...

Thanks

2. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Maybe Mike Carr will pitch in on this one, I think he's done it both directions.

Maybe try ellipsis in the subject header next time, might get a better response and less smart-aleck replies. Just sayin'...

3. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

OK, thanks - we'll see what response I get....

4. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

It totally depends on your price range and what you're looking for. Generally speaking in the US market, cheap basses are somewhat cheaper than similar options in Europe. However, the high-end market is far, far more expensive. Since most American orchestras do not supply their bass sections with instruments, there is a relatively substantial consumer base for master-built, antique basses.

You also have to take into account all applicable tax and customs laws. Will you need to declare it on your way back home? Will you be liable for import taxes?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GlassOnion

GlassOnion 1.21 Gigawatts Gold Supporting Member

I just put a deposit down on an Upton, fully carved, Bohemian. 4-6 month wait but hand made here in the US! I pulled the trigger based on it being made here.

http://www.uptonbass.com

7. David Potts

David Potts

Part of the answer is both availabilty and choice. I went to NY to buy a good smaller bass from Wil de Sola because I couldn't find a suitable small one here in Sydney, Australia, for the same price . OK, it cost me fares, accommodation, shipping and taxes but even for the total cost there has always been very little to choose from here. We only have a relatively small scene compared to the US and Europe. Most of our remaining old basses are trade instruments from Germany and France dating from the late 19th Century or early 20th Century. The value of these has been undercut by relatively low end basses imported from China. There are only a handful of luthiers making mid range basses but several very good bow makers. There are only about 40 or so fully employed bass players in our symphony, opera and ballet, and chamber orchestras. This is where most of the high end basses are owned. Our young professionals are probably looking towards the UK for higher end basses because times have been tough there. I formed the opinion that I was going to get "more bang for my buck" in the US in my price range, $25 - 30K, and I think I did well. I still think you have much more choice at a reasonable cost in the States.

Cheers, DP