Has anyone here seen KONG?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by esa372, Oct 18, 2010.

1. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

Between 1987 and 1990, I was making and playing a custom beater bass I called "Kong".

The thing was ridiculous.

I sold Kong in 1990 in Los Angeles to help pay for an Alembic that was being made for me. I was just wondering if any TBers had ever come across The Mighty Kong; I've often wondered what his fate may have been.

Here is a screen-cap from a show in October of 1990:
    [​IMG]

He was made of a natural finish, one-piece body (ash or alder; I never really knew), with a Fender P neck, that had a rosewood fingerboard and a brass nut. The string-retainer on the headstock was raised with a plastic spacer about 1/4", and there was a HipShot Detuner installed for the E-string. The bridge was a Bad Ass-I, actually routed and sunk into the body wood.
    The pick-ups were all DiMarzio. There were two Jazz-types side-by-side at the bridge position, a P-type in the center, and an EB0-type at the neck.

The electronics were passive and active. The passive controls were all on the black panel on front. There were five switches along the top of the panel; from left-to-right, they were:
    a three-way switch for the two J pups - selecting front, back, or both;
    one on/off switch for each of the "three" pups (the dual J being considered as one pup);
    one active/passive switch

The passive control knobs, left-to-right, were:
    master tone; master volume (top row)
    three individual volumes, one for each pup (bottom row)

Once the active switch was engaged, all of those controls were de-activated, and the three black control knobs under the P and EB0 pups were activated. The active electronics in Kong were from a Warwick Buzzard, and worked in the same way. Left-to-right, the knobs were:
    two-tier stack pot for bass (bottom) and treble (top) boost or cut;
    a balance control between the P and EB0 pups (I think the J pups were shut off when the active switch was engaged, but I may be wrong.);
    one master volume.

Kong was sold with a black hard-shell case that has stickers and pictures all over it.
    Also, Kong was very heavy; 15 lbs, or more.

Kong was a great and versatile bass; though, as I said, utterly ridiculous. If anyone here has ever seen him, please let me know... of course, he may have been completely taken apart for someone else's project.

Thanks!

~esa
  2. RONQUITO

RONQUITO

I like Kong!

Seems like a lot of fun...and i luv DiMarzios...
  3. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

Thanks, RONQUITO.

Kong was a lot of fun; had some great gigs, too!
  4. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Holy Crap! I think I saw Peter Jackson presenting Jack Black with that bass atop the Empire State Building! :D
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    Thanks for the tip!
    [​IMG]
  7. lousybassplayer

lousybassplayer

I want to see KONG, I may even want to play KONG, but I do not want to lift KONG or carry him for a 2 hour show.
  8. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

Perfectly understandable! Even a 50-minute club gig would cause my left shoulder to droop for days after. ;) He was, well... a beast.

One more small detail:
    The white blur in the picture (on the lower horn of the body) was actually a white RatBones sticker, similar to this:
    [​IMG]
    It was still on when I sold Kong.

~esa
  9. s4001

s4001

Negative. I was in your hood at the time, but never saw it.
  10. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

ATTENTION TALKBASS USERS! IF YOU SEE A GIANT, SCARY ORANGE FRANKENSTEIN BASS ROAMING THE STREETS OF NEW YORK, OR POSSIBLY CLIMBING A BUILDING, DO NOT SHOOT IT DOWN! CALL ESA AND HE WILL CAPTURE THE BEAST FOR YOU!
  11. lousybassplayer

lousybassplayer

That thing would laugh off any attempts to stop it anyway. Call the National Guard first, then call esa.
  12. kjpollo

kjpollo

Who wins- Kong or Mothman??
  13. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

Thanks, s4001.

[​IMG] Too funny!

...and probably true! :eek:
  14. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I've found some black-and-white pics of Kong in performance; here's one that's a bit clearer than the screen cap:
    [​IMG]

Also, it looks like the RatBones sticker had been changed at some point - from white to black-and-white (or vice versa).
    [​IMG]

:bassist:
  15. Diogenes

Diogenes

Let's just say that I'm looking at pictures of a mortal playing Kong. When was the last time you saw Mothman let anyone play Him?
  16. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Kong versus Mothman...man, that's a tough one. I'd say Kong, unless the Mothman was playing the Red Ric, then nothing but God could stop him...
  17. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Kong looked like a beast, however I think it needed a few more knobs and switches!:)
  18. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Supporting Member

This. More switches plz.
  19. kjpollo

kjpollo

Oh geez, yeah, how could I forget the Ric of Satan?

My God, if those 3 basses all ended up in the same room at the same time, mankind as we know it woul cease to exist........and we'd all have to be drummers!
  20. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Satanglo! I'm still trying to photoshop the Mothman playing that thing. :D
  21. UnfortunateTony

UnfortunateTony

Oh my god. It's my dream bass. You constructed my dream bass. And I never held it in my hands. I'm gonna go sit in the tub and open some veins :bawl: