Has anyone tried a Marleaux-Pagelli fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diego, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Diego

Diego

To all the TBers that actually have had one of these on their hands...these basses look fantastic (very artistic design IMO), what are your opinions on:

1. Sound
    2. Playability
    3. Ergonomics
    4. Overall design concept
    5. Innovation
    6. Construction
    7. Wood and electronics
  2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I played the original Pagelli fretless before the Pagelli-Marleaux collaboration(that that one is based off of) and it was one of the best Basses(fretless)I have ever played.it sounded like a very authentic 150 year old upright,with enough growl to die for and it sustained for days it also had a Schertler blue stick pickup installed in it.Pagelli was asking 10 grand for the bass(but he said he was asking so much for it in hopes that no one would buy it).again an incredible sounding and playing Bass.
  3. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

Never played one, never seen one, never even heard of them until 2 minutes ago...but wow:eek:

[​IMG]
  4. Drake Kennedy

Drake Kennedy

I hate to say it, but that strongly resembles...a wishbass...:bawl: Still a beautiful instrument.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. steve21

steve21

it looks like a wishbass/danelectro longhorn combo.
  7. wiro

wiro

8. Diego

Diego

A Wishbass/Danelectro hybrid? OUCH! No offense guys but IMHO there is no comparison between these instrument and a wishbass.

Thanks for the link to the sound clip!!!! A truly unique and remarkable instrument!
  9. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

wow, i'm really pleased to see that this collaboration happened! i was somewhat involved with the handmade industry a few years ago and had heard that this was in talks. both luthiers are INCREDIBLE talents and this bass will likely knock the sox off anything else.

i've played some of pagelli's basses at a musik messe a few years ago and have to say that they are in a world of their own in sound and look (and unfortunately, usually price tag).

i became fairly engulfed in marleaux basses and have been exposed to dozens of their basses and do sincerely believe that these basses give any top US bass a run for its money. playing their jazz bass was the biggest shock to my system in how good it was. their consat model (whose body design was recently ripped off by washburn) has a pretty sweet customized programmable EQ where you can select from 3 different frequencies for each band of boost and cut while playing!!! and the mbass has a chocolatey smooth tone and is surprising light for a single cut.

anyone know the pricetag on that marleaux pagelli and if it is available in the US?
  10. lefty007

lefty007 Supporting Member

They are north of 5000 Euro, or US$6000 + . I'm sure they can be ordered to the US.

Talk about functional art! I think they are one of the most beautiful bass designs.
  11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have a marleaux strait 5 model that I may be open to trade for the right offer.
  12. gottawalk

gottawalk

Smooth! Love the sound.:D
  13. Diego

Diego

Totally agree with some fellow TBers...art met functionality with the Pagelli design. 6000+!!! WOW big price tag, but I guess the design is worth it.
  14. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Anybody who compares this with a Wish is only seeing a wood bass, or has never seen anything other than a Wish with a deep cutout. (Hint: the extra-deep cut out was taken originally fron Zon!) A Wish is closer to a cutting board that's been hit by a bazooka than it is to a Pagelli.

IMO These things are beauty personified. And there's a fair share of technical stuff going on, which is completely integrated into and hidden by the form. One of the instruments in a Ritter-type price range, that may also be justified in being there.
  15. MrWalker

MrWalker

I have to agree with you. :)

Fuctional art has been mentioned, I think that's a very good description. Most of this bass is inovative in design, from the tuners to the headstock. I must admit I really like it.

The price tag is a definitive turn-off, though... :( I don't doubt that it's worth it, but I know I cannot afford it...

Oh well... one can always dream on :D
  16. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

i've played a marleaux and i've played a pagelli...i haven't played this bass, but i'd say that in all likelihood, this bass is worth every penny. both of these luthiers are revolutionary in their work.
  17. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Super classy looking and sounding IMO.

These european builders have been coming up with some amazing stuff lately... JP, Marleaux, Manne, Drozd, Ritter...
  18. Diego

Diego

OK, time to revive this thread guys! I'm sure may of you might have missed it.

Keep pouring your opinions!

Diego

PS> I don't know if the collaboration between Mareluax and Pagelli still exists as no records of such are to be found in either of their websites currently...I hope that such a gorgeous design does not get lost...
  19. BigRedX

BigRedX

This instrument looks as though it's no longer available...

The Marleaux Pagelli site has gone and Marleaux themselves no longer seem to be interested in selling it. About a year ago I contacted Pagelli about the possibility of making one of these bases (before I'd discovered the Marleaux collaboration) and he directed me to the dedicated site and passed my details on to Marleaux but they never got in touch with me.

However nosing around on the German language part of the site reveals this page. Depending upon how up to date this info is, it may be your last chances to get one of these bases.
  20. Bassflute

Bassflute

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings
    The Pagelli and Marleaux/Pagelli are world class works of art, raising the bar for all bass builders, and one of the most gorgeous basses I have ever seen.

It's a fine line between art and junk, just as it is between love and hate, peace and war, etc.

Cheers,
    Cameron
  21. Diego

Diego

Well put Cameron...wise words.