Has Anyone Tried A Wilkins RoadTested P Yet?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by petrus61, Feb 3, 2013.

1. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I'm soon going to be in the market for another Precision to fill the void of my big sell off last year an this caught my eye: http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/productimage.php?product_id=15566
    $1799.00 for a US made Precision with Hipshot tuners and a quarter-sawn neck? That's a pretty bangin' deal when one considers the features it shares with its much more expensive US made counterparts like Lakland and the Fender custom shop. Supposedly, the savings are in the finish, which is a super thin, satin poly and no HSC (the Wilkins comes with an Access gig bag, which are pretty darn nice). Has anyone had the pleasure of trying one of these? For those that don't know, Pat Wilkins does the finish work for Sadowski, Lakland and many other high end builders. I was considering a Fender US Standard or a new or used American Vintage, but the older AV's are already getting tough to find and the new ones come in at $2000. Pat told me he has stock to sell direst when I'm ready to order. That's about as close to 'custom' as it gets, with options to upgrade to Lollars or any other pickup aside from the stock Duncan SPB it comes with at an additional charge. Pretty awesome, IMO. He also seems like a great guy with a love for vintage Fenders, which these seem closer to in essence than Lakland current Skyline offerings (that are made in Indonesia with flat-sawn necks) that come stock either the very un-vintage sounding Neo-Punch pickups and with actual color options. The neck is shaped like that of a 64-65 Precision.
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=3KfxPtzAbrc&desktop_uri=/watch?v=3KfxPtzAbrc

2. SlingBass4

SlingBass4 Supporting Member

I can order parts through Warmoth (my selection of wood and pieces parts), have a tech level and dress the frets (minor effort needed), fit and wire it together (tight tolerances), buy a top notch gig bag (Reunion Blues Continental), and have an all 'round ideally spec-ed, more custom to my taste, and better (IMO & IME) bass for less money :smug:

3. petrus61

That's nice, but I don't have the time for such a project. So you can put together a bass from Warmouth with a quarter sawn neck, the finish of your choice and have it professionally dressed, leveled and wired with an RB case for less than $1799? Very impressive but not very helpful to the question I asked.

4. SherwoodGreen

SherwoodGreen Banned

To answer your question:
    Yes, I've played a Wilkins Road-Tested P-Bass. I think they're very near the top of the chain for my tastes.
    The neck felt superb, the bass was balanced nicely, and the build quality was top-rate.
    I would put them in the same class as a Sadowsky, (US) Lakland, Lull, even FCs.
    As for the finish- they can be done in a gloss for an upcharge; I find the satin to be unique and kewl.
    As you mentioned, Pat will also modify the build with your choice of pups, electronics, etc. I've spoken w/him about an active P/J w/ Nordstrand electronics, and he can build it just as desired.
    I've also considered the White model at CMX; very tempting.

IMO, it;s an excellent instrument at a very reasonable price-point for an instrument built by someone with Pat Wilkins' background and expertise.

Oh, and btw- It sounded great too!:D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. petrus61

Amazing. It's a tough market out there for such a utilitarian instrument design, but Pat seems to pack all the right features in at an unbelievable price point. So far it's leaning toward a RT for my next P.

7. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

A warmoth will also offer horrible resell, there worth next to nothing used.

Matt R likes this.
  8. petrus61

And that part too...

This actually came up when I discussed it with my guitard, who has all sorts of dealings and knowledge of boutique on the scale of Pat Wilkins (and apparently knows some folks he worked with at Schecter). It's a certain audience for these things but I'm basically going in with the intention of getting a keeper. I remember getting a used custom Rahbek Tele that was a pain in the arse to unload when it came time to sell. That guitar was nice, Mary Kaye finish, Lollar pup and quarter sawn neck. Wound up dumping it for $500. But I'm looking at this RT as more of a personal investment if I go with it. Still up in the air about the new Fender AV's, but something just looks off to me about them.

9. SherwoodGreen

SherwoodGreen Banned

The Wilkins Custom series instruments are World-Class, with price tags that reflect that fact.
    The Road-Tested series is a great offering of a high-quality US-built traditional/vintage style P or J bass; at a VERY reasonable price point.

The Fiesta Red P-Bass I played; it was love at first touch- the neck profile and feel reminded me very much of a US Lakland, and the weight, balance, and resonance unplugged felt just right.
    You're spot-on; it's a crowded field w/ lots of choice for a low production run Fender style bass. There's Lulls, Tuttle, Lakland,
    Sadowsky, Nordy's, etc.

Pat Wilkins has a stellar rep for his OEM and after-market finish work, that should make some players take notice, and I'm betting that if and when many of them get a chance to play a Wilkins RT, it would be a serious contender..
    His lead time, BTW, for my proposed custom-spec'd P/J was about 3-4 weeks- That's pretty hard to beat for a made-to order bass of this quality!

Matt R likes this.
  10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

I agree with all of the above. I have played Pats RT J bass but not his RT P basses and the J basses simply kill in the overall quality department and they are right up there with basses costing twice as much. I think Pats RT series is an incredible introduction into what Pat Wilkins has to offer.

I own a custom Wilkins J bass and a vintage series Wilkins P bass and the RT is not slacking at all. I'm extremely glad that Pat has a series that will be able to introduce the bass community to a top notch instrument like the Wilkins RT model.

Wilkins endorser.

11. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

How do you contact him to order, and what custom options are available? Will he do any color finish? I tried searching online with no luck. Needless to say, I have no experience with his basses, but I'm definitely interested.

12. SherwoodGreen

SherwoodGreen Banned

http://www.wilkinsguitars.com/
    Give him a call or E-Mail; he replies promptly!

You can spec just about anything; I was (am!) interested in a P/J version with Nordy pups and pre-amp-No problem; he told me; been there, done that.

Color choices? From Pat Wilkins?? ANY thing you want, and it will be spectacular (I was leaning towards Coral, what a beautiful bass that would be).

Happy Hunting!

13. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Thanks!

14. R Baer

R Baer Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Baer Amplification
    I had the pleasure of sharing a booth with Pat this past NAMM and I can honestly say his basses are as good as anyone's if you are looking for a Fender type instrument. The Road Tested basses I played were all very, very good. They are not simply parts basses. The body and necks are made to Pat's specs, plus Pat can also do some level of customizing for you of the RT series. You also get the benefits of an amazing tech putting the bass together and doing the set up. Wilkins is also probably the top finisher in the business, so you have plenty of options there as well. Add to all this the fact that Pat is a great guy and really cares a lot about his customers, and the Road Tested line seems like a pretty good deal in my book. By the way, if you are keeping things on a budget, the passive basses with stock Seymour Duncan pickup were probably my favs at the show. I know in these days of boutique pickups the Duncans don't get much love but the Antiquity P pick-ups are outstanding pups if you are looking for really authentic P-Bass tones.

Some of the NAMM basses.

[​IMG]

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:

The natural color 5 string J bass in the pic with the two volume knobs and tone knob was made for Jimmy Earl, session bassist and bassist for the Jimmy Kimmel show.

And here's a pic of my custom Wilkins 5 string J bass.

Attached Files:

16. R Baer

R Baer Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Baer Amplification
    That natural 5 string was my favorite of the bunch. That bass just did everything really, really well. Vintage, modern, bright, barmy, you name it, it was there and with only three knobs!

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:

I didn't get to play it but it did feel good.

18. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I've played one quite a bit and they are pretty darn cool. The neck feels great and the tone is superb. Beefy and round, but still clear and articulate. I'd put them in the same league as Lull, Sadowsky, and a few other boutique builders. Whoever thinks these are "parts basses" obviously hasn't ever seen one up close and has no business commenting.

Here's a video I did for a church project a couple weeks ago. It's not really the final part, but the flavor of the bass comes through well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB36knvcs7s

19. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I only got to play the Jimmy Earl bass, but it was pretty darn amazing! Whatever your favorite 4-string Jazz can do, this one can do 25% more of.

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:

Sounds pretty nice and your playing is nice as well.

21. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

I was expected a "relic" with a name like Road Tested.