1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

HAs anyone tried Flats on an Ibanez SR 300ish bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Strat Hater, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

I don't like the amount of ckanl I get from the roundwound strings on my SR 300 and was wondering if anyone tried flats on theirs?

I know lots of times these basses are used for rock and use rounds, but I wonder if there is a demo or review on this, I can't find one
  2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

Buy a set of flats and be the first. You'll be known as a pioneer. :)

Seriously, try a set of GHS Precision Flats and post some clips as they are very flatwound sounding. To me.
  3. lowgroove677

lowgroove677

I just switched from blue steels to d'addario chromes on my SR505. I like them, very different sound and very different feel. Not the end all be all of strings for every style. But in the type of music I play now, it's whats fits. Just have to try them and find out if you like them.
  4. Solarmist

Solarmist 15 miles from Mt Rainier Supporting Member

Flats will kill the fantastic tone of an Ibby SR ... maybe some D'Add halfrounds will do?

I guess I'm the oppsite using Prosteels exclusively. I just love new string zing!
  5. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

I also love the zing of new roundwounds, I just hate the clank I get from the treble side of the bass. I put a set of D'dario Flats on last night. The clank is gone, but still not crazy about the tone. I have the same string on my Toby and love it:meh:
  6. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

I used Chromes on my sr305 for a while. They were just ok. I switched to Half rounds and they were perfect. Dialed back the treble enough to sound smooth and unclanky. I also replaced the preamp on it with a 3 band emg and that did good things. Unfortunately the pickups on that bass never really sounded right to me and it had to go. Look to ground wounds to get some of the Tone back. GHS makes some really good ones as well as the d'addario.
  7. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

I tried GHS Brite Flats on my 305 and didn't like them, but I'm not really a fan of flats and half-rounds on fretted basses in general. I have a set of SIT half-rounds on my defretted SR885 that sound great.
  8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

I run Chromes on my 4401. Stock BartMk1 "buckers and pre. Love 'em.