1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Has anyone tried Jaco relic'ed Jazz ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boriology101, Sep 11, 2008.

1. boriology101

boriology101

There is a local music shop near my place.. and I tried Jaco tribute custom shop bass at there recently....

I was so impressed by its sound I felt like it's singing.

In fact, I have never tried fretless bass in my life and I thought spending over 3K on a bass that I haven't tried much yet is kinda risky... but today, I just asked the bass guitar department manager there that if I could exchange with my Warrior Signature 5 + Spector EURO CRFM for Jaco custom. It seems like the manager really liked my bass and he told me he would buy warrior for 1600 and 950 for the spector. The Jaco custom is preowned and is 2,999.90

Do you think that deal is good? Or... shouldn't I spend that much money on Jaco custom?

To be honest, I am not buying for its looking. I always have been disliking relic'ed thing and.. I read an thread somewhere in here that buying Jaco custom means I would pay couple of thousand dollars for its relic thing. But when I play this bass, -wow- the sound was just great and I felt some kind of "charisma" on this instrument when I took a look. I could be invalid for what I just said that I don't like relic things but this one was the only exception. I think the manager would be only interested in exchanging but buying and I have been having difficulty to sell my two basses on my local Craigslist. (It seems like no one in my town is interested in those basses :crying:)

What I need to do is bring around $450 with my basses to exchange with Jaco custom. Or, I could wait endlessly until I sell my basses and I just place an order for another one..
    I know.. there is no such an absolute answer, but I just wanted to ask you guys what would you do if you're in my situation.

I would be really glad for any kind of opinion. Also, I would be REALLY glad if someone gives me very experienced convincing idea about Jaco custom that could kill my GAS. Another word, is spending over 3K on Jaco custom is worth for the money?

Thank you!
  2. EliasR

EliasR

I hardly think that you'd want to spend 3k for what basically looks like a beat up old Fender, especially if you're not a fan of the relic thing. Cliff Bordwell or Chris Stambaugh could make you something great for that kind of money.
  3. kevin_lindsay

kevin_lindsay

I had one a couple of years ago and to be honest, I never enjoyd it. The relic job is rather poor - looks and feels like they masked off the areas of wear when spraying, and then took off the masking to leave the bare wood areas.

The blending between finish and wood was duff, and the instrument didn't have that "pick me up and play it" vibe for me. Saying that, the bloke who bought it off me absolutely loved it, so I guess it just goes to show that everyone has differing tastes, and also that an instrument needs to "hit you at the right time" for it to be special?
  4. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Spend $20 for a supporting membership here...

Sell said basses in 2 hrs.. LOL
  5. SundanceChile

SundanceChile

Fact. +1
  6. boriology101

boriology101

That really gives me an image of when the relic job is being actually worn. The bare wood area might look too new... ?!

I think I should ask about it to people who've owned relic'ed basses for a long time.

Do you have any idea about this?

I am interested in that bass because of its sound, but I also have to consider about that there might be some even cheaper one could sound better or similar... What do you think about the sound?
  7. boriology101

boriology101

I was a bit hesitated by posting my ads in here because I live in Canada. But now I will definitely consider about that...

I did not know that I have to be a supporting member first in order to sell my stuffs here, but I was thinking to be a supporting member anyway since I get so much info here and I really like this place.
  8. boriology101

boriology101

Thank you for your suggestion:), I will keep that in mind.
  9. Dave Muscato

Dave Muscato

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Chef (a moderator on this board) has one. Maybe he'll check in and let you know!

I played it for a few minutes once. I don't do the 4-string thing, but if I were in the market for a 4-string fretless, that would probably be the one.
  10. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    That is the most important part of you're post for me. If this bass really speaks to you and you feel like its worth trading two other basses you own for it, then do it. Take some time to think carefully about it though. But if the sound is really important to you then the 'fake' relic job wont matter. IMO
  11. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    I had one, enjoyed playing it very much for sure...

the only thing I dont like, is the back of the neck is kinda rough on your thumb, creates friction when sliding up and down...

besides that, if you like a jazz bass and the look go for it...

[​IMG]
  12. ghiadub

ghiadub Supporting Member

I have played a couple of them, like any other bass some are nice and sing back.

For my money, I would get a squire vintage modified fretless jazz. Not saying it is better than the fender, but it is a great value and they are decent once you get a proper setup and some good strings. about 90% of the bass for 10% of the price.
  13. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
  14. babaseen

babaseen Supporting Member

Hey I just tried the FCS Jaco relic at the Guitar Center Boston and was highly impressed. Almost makes me want to sell the Sadowsky Modern 5 fretless.
    But what I'm asking is for someone to talk me out of buying this bass. Yes it's too expensive but other than the price why wouldn't I go for it, if as some said, it speaks to you.:help:

The only concern I have is playing a tribute bass, I'm a big Jaco fan but having the exact bass he had kind of makes one feel self concious (on stage and with other musicians, of course shedding with this thing is like "well you know what I mean, can't type it here") as if hey who do you think you are man find your own identify, or should I think hey man I'm paying tribute to one my heros and I want to keep his memory alive for myself and others that give a damn.
  15. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Oh man! That was amazing. That almost makes ME want to buy the bass and I've never even played one! Nice job
  16. mat666

mat666

for 3000$ Pierre Laporte will make the best fretless bass you'll ever own - this guy make instruments for professionals like Celine Dion's musicians and use woods that even fodera doesnt have access to. I'm currently building a 6 strings with him and believe me it's worth more than every penny - he is based in montreal and waiting time is about 1 year - why buying someone else's bass when you can get your own
  17. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

+1000

I have the VM fretless and it sounds great! Save a ton of dough and get the Squier.

Edit...after thinking about this a little bit...what the heck makes these Jaco's so expensive? Its just a Jazz bass after all, right?
  18. jbassbob

jbassbob

I tried the relic Jaco about 3 years ago. It was the most alive and comfortable feeling bass I'd ever played. If the price wasn't so out of reach for me, I'd own one. :crying:
  19. Hullaballoo

Hullaballoo

Bass Central do the non-reliced one for$1799, so you WOULD be paying someone $2000 for having scratched it up
  20. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

I don't think they are the same. Doesn't the non custom shop version have a different finish of the fingerboard, and different pickups? Not to mention that one is a custom shop model, and one is regular production model. Both are great basses, but I'm just saying...