1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Has anyone tried playing reggae/ska tunes with a DB?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by fivaras, Sep 19, 2013.

1. fivaras

fivaras

Hello everyone,

I play EB for some years now in a reggae/ska/swing band and i started playing DB a couple of years ago. I was wandering whether any of you have tried playing in a reggae/ska band with an upright bass since it is obviously not easy. I mean, yes in a traditional ska band people used to play walking bass lines with a DB over the chords. But what about a more modern ska rhythm? More up-tempo. Or a reggae riddim. Do you think its possible to sound cool?
  2. Salamenster

Salamenster

Most of the old-school ska tunes were played on a DB, and the first reggae on the Ampeg Baby Bass EUB.
  3. fivaras

fivaras

I know about the old-school traditional ska tunes. I didn't know about the reggae part and I'm a big fan. Any links/videos that i can check out?
  4. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Why don't you try it with your band and see how it goes? You won't get the same kind of sustain as you do on EB but who cares, make it work. It can get low enough and shake the floor for sure.
  5. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

Yes, and I am going to *try* again tonight! <ba-dum tish!> Seriously, a weekly outdoor gig we were playing "acoustic" - with the acoustic guitars plugged into little amps, vocal mics also plugged in, and me on my slab with a 112 - hit a snag where we got called out for a noise violation by the local neighborhood association. The bar said go completely acoustic or don't go at all. Had to switch to upright immediately two Thursdays ago, so I borrowed one, bit my lip, taped up my fingers, and dug in.

Everyone seems to be loving it except for me. To say I find the double bass challenging would be a tremendous understatement. But I am making it work, as well as I can. We play old time, Grateful Dead, other classic folk rock, and lots of reggae, both older tunes and some more modern ones, but certainly no dance hall or anything like that.

Flabba Holt and many of the other fathers of reggae and ska bass all played upright. So yes, it can be done.
  6. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Check out Ernest Ranglin's "Below The Bass Line" album - they play some classic reggae riddims on that (with double bass).
  7. Nagrom

Nagrom

I love playing reggae on the DB; especially for folks who say "you can't play reggae on DB"
  8. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Gold Supporting Member

Absolutely, my band does some ska and reggae and another local band does the same thing. Works great!

www.thesplashingpearls.com
  9. alexlocurto

alexlocurto

This probably isn't what you're thinking of, but I'll give my input anyway, because who knows? The guy from Streetlight Manifesto uses an upright on the song The Hands that Thieve. I think it sounds pretty BA.
  10. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Supporting Member

11. Edvin

Edvin

12. halfjackson

halfjackson Supporting Member

Absolutely! I think that a lot of reggae, particularly rocksteady, translates really well on the double bass. I say go for it.
  13. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Gold Supporting Member

Hmmm..

Attached Files:

14. divetone

divetone

Great album. Was Dennis Irwin the bassist?
  15. GlennCarbon

GlennCarbon

I thought the bass player for "the slackers" played stand-up?
  16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Supporting Member

17. tyb507

tyb507 Supporting Member

When I've seen them, he was playing an electric bass (a Vox, I think) with its butt-end rested on a drum throne. Upright slab, if you will.

My old ska band
    opened for the "Original Legends of Ska" tour maybe in 1999, and Lloyd Brevett was playing an electric upright, maybe an Ampeg. I think Doreen Shaffer was on that tour, too. Good times!

I used DB rarely in that band, because we did more punk and pop ska than roots, but it was great for the rocksteady grooves.
  18. The Spanier

The Spanier

This is the most similar to raggae i´ve ever played on a DB… And I´m not that sure what it actually is..!