Has anyone used the Fender Custom Shop 60's J-Bass Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Killens84, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Killens84

Killens84 Supporting Member

Does anyone have any experience with the Fender Custom 60's J-Bass Pickups? I just ordered a new '08 Fender AM Standard Jazz Bass, and am exploring options for upgraded pickups. I was curious if anyone has used the Custom Shop 60's J-Bass Pickups, and what you think about them.
    How do they compare in tone to the stock AM Standard pickups? What are the pros and cons of them?

2. Kaspar Vadsholt

Kaspar Vadsholt

I had CS 60's p.u's in my '77 jazz (until it was stolen:crying:), and they're great.
    Compared to the stock p.u's they offered more clarity and punch.
    Recommended!

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

There are 3 single coil J-bass sets from fender: American Standard, American Vintage, and Custom Shop. I've played the first two a bunch of times. The Standard is a fairly modern sounding rock oriented pickup. A lot like a Duncan SJB-1 but with its own tone. The Vintage is clean and clear, fairly true to the '60s style sound, clearer and not quite as warm as some of the others out there like Fralins. From what I understand the Custom Shop set is an overwound version of the Vintage and should have less extension in the highs and more low mids, so it'll sound punchier and louder, but not as shiny. They're all good pickups.

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

they advertise them as overwound but arent. theyre still wound in the low 7k range. in the same bass the cs60's and originals didnt sound that different.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. steamthief

steamthief

I put a set in the 60's Classic Jazz that I owned, and the difference was immediate. Less shimmer in the high end, but much fatter sounding in the low mids and much more growl. I think they are a definite improvement. YMMV.

There's a set for sale in classifieds for $65, btw.

7. tumbaobab

tumbaobab

I have seen this video, an SX with CS 60

I have ordered an used an SX JB that I will receive soon, and I'm looking for good pickups, this one will be in my Top 3 list with the SJB-1.

8. JMDT

JMDT

My bass with CS 60's sounds brilliant.

9. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

What if you like the stock pickups, which are actually quite good?

10. steamthief

steamthief

Then you rock 'em!

11. tumbaobab

tumbaobab

From "quite good" to "brillant" the step is huge...

12. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

My bass with a goncalno alves / pau ferro neck and a swamp ash body with those pickups just blasts it out. Lots of growl and shimmer, no harshness. Tons of bark. Pickups sound great solo'd. I highly recommend them.

13. bassophile

bassophile

Great pickups! I put them on my '77 jazz bass. Clearer than stock, especially when digged in! Better string to string balance and lows are strong and stable!

14. onzki

onzki

How important is the pickup if I'm also adding tone shaping stomb box? Right now, your recommendation (custom 60's jazz) is within my budget.. But I'm also curious to try Aero, however it's twice the price! I don't really mind spending once for sake of a good tone, but my question is does expensive pickups really sounds better or I can get away with custom 60's jazz pickup added with tone shapers such as Aguilat tone hammer or zoom B3. Thanks

15. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

good pickups make everything sound better, stomp boxes included.

16. DavC

DavC

had them for a while ... warm , punchy ...

but i wanted hum cancelling ... split at neck , stacked at bridge ... there are many, many options that will fit ...

just gotta pick how you want them to sound ... and act .. !

luckily with sites like this ... we all can semi painlessly buy used , trade , and try different things without really breaking the bank ..

17. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

why the mis-match?

split would be stronger in both positions.

18. odarellmc

odarellmc

Funny I just purchased a new am std and don't hear much hum at all..and they are the cs60's warm nice low mids a little less output than I expected but other than that they are veru quiet..at least mine are..

19. Linnin

Linnin

Custom Shop p'ups came standard in my 2012 MIA Jazz.

I LOVE Them!

They are the very best sounding Jazz pickups that I have ever heard. Ever. :cool:

20. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

they seemed very similar to the pickups in my 1984 mij bass, but with a tighter low end, which is weird, because those were also a modern era tribute to old school fender

21. Ray man

Ray man

Aero pickups sound exactly as the 60's custom shop IMHO.
    The only advantage to the Aero is the construction quality.
    Also if you speak to Larry himself he will wind them to suit your personal taste.

Id go with the CS. Out of the Fender pickups these will give the fattest bottom.

The 75's are my favorite.