Has texting made calling rude?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Dec 10, 2012.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
    Has anyone else had the impression that the popularity of communicating through texting has made calling slightly rude?
  2. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Nope. If you are offended by a phone call you are just way too sensitive. I do both. I only text when the message is short and has no chance of being misunderstood by people who are way too sensitive. If the person with whom I wish to communicate is way too sensitive, or the message is way too long, I call them. That way, if they get offended I can simply TELL them they are way too sensitive.
  3. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

If there's no blood or fire don't call me. And I'm talking lots of blood. Same rule applies to waking me up.
  4. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I prefer a call if something is urgent, or is anything that is somewhat complicated. Phone calls are the second best form of communication, after face to face.

lowsound
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

What's rude is people like me who don't answer when you call, then send a text right after asking what you wanted.

-Mike
  7. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    Yeah, that is rude. Also rude is not listening to the voicemail message I just left and instead calling me right back.

As for OP: it's a freaking phone! Get a pager if you only want to take texts.
  8. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Yep - it's the other way around.

Texting is a way of saying "You're not important enough for me to spend my time talking to you."
  9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I'm not sure how anyone could see calling as rude unless the person calling you knows you're in a meeting, class, or some other situation where a phone call simply wouldn't be appropriate. For example, my singer had a horrible habit of calling me in the middle of one of my classes and leaving voice messages for awhile. I considered that rude because he'd leave a voice message that would go on and on and take longer for me to listen to than read if it were a text.

Personally, I'm about 50/50 between which method of communication I prefer. I love how quickly you can exchange a lot of information via a phone call, but sometimes it's nice to be able to leave a conversation in the middle of it like you can with a text. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've just said, "nah, I'm not putting out that fire right now" when someone texted me unwanted news. Then again, I hate it when people do that to me (whether intentionally or not).
  10. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

I find both methods very useful. It just depends on the situation.
  11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    For me, it's not that calling is rude, but that I am now getting junk calls on my cell phone. Texting gives me the chance to figure out what you want before answering.
  12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
    Thats an interesting perspective. Something new to think about!
  13. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

What if the person you called is busy with something (like work) and can't call you but can steal enough time away to shoot you a text?

No way. It takes forever to listen to voice messages. I'm calling you back so that I don't have to listen to:

"Hello... valued... customer... You have... 3... unheard... messages... to listen... to... your... messages... press... 1 now.......... first... unheard... message..........."

That stuff is torture I tell you! Torture!
  14. Snarf

Snarf

I almost always prefer text just because if it's a cell-to-cell call, chances are I'm not going to hear the other person. I just had an important phone call about a gig in a few weeks, and only understood maybe 10% of what he was saying.
  15. Ziltoid

On Cisco phones you can hit "66" for fast-forward. I don't know if it works on other phones, never tried.
  16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Would watching TV count as something? That's usually what I'm doing when someone calls me and I text back. I'd rather not be distracted from my TV show to talk about nothing. Send a text and get to the point already. We can skip all the......

Hey.
    Hi.
    How's it going?
    Good. You?
    Good here too.
    Cool.
    Whatcha doing?
    Talking on the phone.
    Cool.
    Yeah, not really, it sucks. What do you want?

-Mike
  17. Einherjar

Einherjar

I dunno, I've never been a big fan of phone calls. As a result, I do it less and less unless it's a family member I don't see often. And even then I hate every second of it. But for example, one of my best friends from highschool moved to Florida from Colorado in an attempt to get his alcoholism under control. Long story short, he failed, and calls me multiple times a week wasted at 7pm and just talks and talks and talks without ever letting me respond to anything. Just makes me hate phone calls all the more. People suck, and texting allows me to deal with their suckage on my own time. :p
  18. Ziltoid

My hate of phone-calls comes from working at an IT support desk for 4 semesters. Freakin' stupid phone calls making me work.

:bag:
  19. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I think you only further proved my point ;)
  20. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

I used to hate it, but now I see the advantages, like say if I think someone may be at work. Shooting them a text is alot easier on their part, and they can read it and respond at their leisure. And really myself, most of the time I prefer a text over a horrible sounding voicemail. Especially if in the voicemail someone is trying to tell you a phone number and you have to listen to the message repeatedly to try to figure out wtfrick they are saying.
  21. jrthebassguy

jrthebassguy Supporting Member

I've noticed this a generational thing. My parents (and people their age) seem to hate texts. A good number of my friends hate when I call them.

If all I need to communicate is a small thought or two, it's courteous to send a text. If I know it'll take more than a few texts to conclude the "conversation" I'll make a call. I personally dislike talking on the phone for the most part. So does my girlfriend, and it's rare for us to talk on the phone unless we're away from each other for an extended period.