Has this ever happened to any of you?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayer1494, Oct 20, 2013.

1. bassplayer1494

bassplayer1494

So I was hellbent on selling my 60th Anniversary Precision bass in order to purchase a G&L L1505 that i fell in love with. Now ive been playing that G&L the past month each weekend and i love the feel, sound, etc.
    My pbass was sounding good. Sounds just like a precision should. I wasnt getting the best sound at practice but thats probably because of the room we practice in.

anyways...

Last night my band had a show and i figured that this will be the last gig i have with my pbass before I list it. However, the bass sounded perfect in the mix and it worked for every kind of song! From classic rock to 80s metal and some more modern songs. It nailed pretty much every song on the list! I used that bass for two out of the three sets and it seemed a lot fuller sounding than my SUB 4, which is a great bass, but lacks that bottom end that i get from my P.

So now im stuck guys... I really do love my pbass and i really do love the G&L... I might just have to hold off for awhile because im sure i can find another one ebay but... GAS IS KILLING ME! :help:

So have any of you ever decided to sell your bass, play a show right before you are going to list it, and then not sell it?

2. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Sure. Married couples who've decided to divorce get this too. Great sex. But I'd give the P another shot or two and see if you are really still as attached as it seems. Oh, and yes, this exact thing has happened to me. If the worst you discover is you have two basses you love, that might not be the worst thing in the world either.

3. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

Happened with my Jazz, listed it for sale and then every time I played it, it sounded so great that I didn't want to sell it, but I needed the money and overall preferred my P-Bass. So unless you have to sell, I say keep the P-Bass.

4. Jason Wilson

Jason Wilson

Stick with the bass you love and save for the bass you want.

Better than living with regret, which I've read a lot on here of people wishing they hadn't sold a loved piece of gear

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    If you love both the G&L and P, but feel the SUB is missing something...seems like you'd want to sell the SUB instead ;)

7. gumbynotpokey

gumbynotpokey

Nope. I've never bought an instrument that I would not keep, and shall not keep, for a lifetime. And any instrument I buy is with that in mind - I add to what I have.

8. bassplayer1494

bassplayer1494

The reason why I like the sub is because it cuts through really good.
    But I'm definitely gonna think about this before I make my final choice

9. David Jayne

David Jayne

Sure, but as you've discovered, the P bass 'sits' in a mix as only a P bass does.
    You could always sell it if you really need to, then go find a decent Squier or MIM P bass for cheap. It'll still have that P sound.

10. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

A P bass is always right.

11. maxiegrant

maxiegrant Bassist in Transition

I once tried to sell my Spector NS-20004. My wife actually convinced me not to.

#1, it's nice. #2, when I was ordering it originally in 2000 or so (the first time I'd ever ordered a brand-new instrument for myself), the store got it lost, and Stuart himself called me at my desk at work to apologize for the delay, and inform me he was having one shipped right away. So, I have decided after re-re-thinking that that I won't be getting rid of it ever. That was just too cool.

I sold my original bass (a Hondo II) and bought it back about a year later because I really needed a backup instrument. Since then, if it comes into my house, it generally stays.

12. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

This seems very much like a case of the grass not necessarily being greener thanks to good ol' GAS. The good thing for you is that you recognized this and you still have a chance to make a decision that works better for you. Because I think that if we haven't been through this same dilemma ourselves, we probably have read a thread here on Talkbass about "The one that got away".

As for what to do about getting the G&L that you're after? That's something you need to evaluate. Can you afford to buy the bass outright without selling something? Or is there a piece of gear that you have that would better serve someone else and get some cash in hand for the G&L? Those are questions that you should be asking yourself.

13. chadds

chadds

If they don't sound the same keep them both.
    If the P only sounded good in just that one room then for you it may not be as versatile.

14. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

Well, I took a look at the G&L. Sure, it will sound different from a Ray, but they will share some similarities as well. If you are dead set on getting the G&L, I would save up some more cash and maybe sell the Ray.

Also, you have mentioned how the Ray "cuts" and the P bass "sits" in a mix. Clearly "sitting" in the mix is the tone you prefer. So why stray too far from that anyway?

I think you are not just conflicted about selling the P, but more so over what tone you prefer in the first place.

Here's where many get all confused about a P bass. I usually doesn't sound amazing by itself. When you play your Ray, or possibly the G&L when you get it, it sounds so bright and awesome that you just have to have one. But then in a band setting, you always grab the P. Well, that's what a P does.

You can't serve two masters. I'm not saying don't buy whatever bass you want. I'm just saying don't expect either of the other basses to do what your P bass does in a band setting. Not better or worse..... just different. Trying to get the G&L to do what the P does in a mix is the whole square peg round hole deal.

15. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

agreed .
    :bassist:

16. Wallace320

Wallace320

Me too
    on both the divorce, and sex, side and on basses...

Then again, thing is: when my wife decided to go, she went...
    I still miss her (and more so, my only son)

When I decided to let a bass go
    It went

No sigh whatsoever for a bass c'mon there's more to life than musical instrument!

Cheers,
    Wallace

17. chadds

chadds

Well said. I was getting that too. The part about what sound are you really going for. Perhaps play more basses and choose slowly.

You can't serve two masters but two basses can serve you. :)

18. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Had the same thing happen a few weeks ago. I played my P5 in church (something I rarely do) and was amazed at how well it sat in the mix. The only thing that keeps me from playing it more is I typically used a low D or low C in the contemporary songs we do and my Lakland 55-02 has a much better B string.

19. bassplayer1494

bassplayer1494

I feel like the g&l can g&l is more versatile but I just can't seem to part with my P.. I don't need the 5 string version of it I could settle for a 4 if the price is right. It is such a tough choice! I may just have to save my pennies for a while

20. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing

Yup

21. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

just sell it if you want to, and if you want another one, there are many others out there to be had.
    Same for wives/girlfriends.

You might not be able to have the exact same one after you've gotten rid of it, but it's pretty easy to find one that is very close and serves the same purpose.