1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Has this Traynor YB-1 been modified for guitar?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by slobake, Apr 8, 2014.

1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I saw this on Craigslist:

All original 1977 Traynor YBA-1. I say this knowing the transformer has been replaced with an actual 60's Traynor YBA transformer. I do have the original 77 transformer that went with the amp though so you truly can restore it to be completely original. The only other thing that is missing/different is that it's missing the Traynor logo that sits on the grill of the head. One thing to note is that this Traynor (as were most old Traynors) is set to run on 8ohm cabs. Good working condition. No real damage to the chassis. All tube, and handwired. The pots on the "Normal" channels are a little scratchy, but that is an easy fix. Will part with this separately for $300.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/4404776740.html

The ad goes on to say how well the amp breaks up etc. Has this been modified to sound better with a guitar? Will I need to put the original transformer back to play bass on this?

I really would like a small tube amp and their are a number of old Traynors around. This one seems like a good price.

2. chadds

chadds

Look it sounds like it's been run hard and put away wet. So move over rover and let Jimi take over. If I were there I'd buy the MF.
    Were it to sound like a Marshall Superlead I'd love it for bass!

3. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

He may have used it for guitar, but it is a bass amp. If it was the power trans he changed the output power will be slightly lower than the -1 IIRC.

4. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Those Traynors from the 60s and 70s were awesomely good-sounding amps. I owned two of them and they never let me down. You have to check the transformer carefully and make certain that you get that right. Personally, I would put the original transformer back in and be happy with it. Get those pots cleaned or replaced and you'll be sounding good.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but... This is a 45 watt guitar amp. Plus, Pete stepped away from Traynor in 1976; quality and collectibility went downhill. It might be a nice guitar amp for $300, but be prepared to do a cap job.

7. slobake

I thought all YB Traynors were bass amps. Did that change when Pete left?

8. slobake

9. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Pete Traynor is the guy who started building the amps at a music store called Long and McQuade. He started his own company called Traynor in the 60's. There is a lot of good info on their older amps here http://www.traynoramps.com and here http://traynoramps.com/legacy_products.

These amps are simple enough that if it was modified for guitar, it can be fully restored for bass. Two mods for guitar often entail changing the caps in the power supply and changing some components in the tone stage. Both easy to undo.

10. slobake

Thanks beans for the good info.

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

The thing with the old Traynors is that the used Hammond transformers. These were way over spec'd for the duty in the amps. I've never found a Traynor with a bad transformer. If you are getting the amp plus the older OPT then you can build a clone quite easily if you have the skill set.

They are good guitar amps, as posted above, but IMO lousy bass amps.

12. slobake

Thanks Paul I will have to go check them out to see. What in paticulare do you not like about these amps?
    I am looking for a low wattage tube amp that won't break the bank. If what you say is true then it looks like my only option is the Ashdown Little Bastard. I mostly play in church and that could be a problem. :bag::p

13. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    For $300? Go get it!

14. groovaholic

groovaholic Everything louder than everything else... Supporting Member

They get REALLY loud REALLY fast -- the volume pots were 4M-ohm; if you change them out to 1 meg log taper pots, you'll have a lot more control over how quickly the volume comes up.

Also, a 5751 in V1 will tame things a bit and give you good headroom.

To Paul's point, they aren't terribly BASSY as bass amps, but IMO they have great tone and a very raw "in your face" sound.

It's a 50-watt tube amp; it can sound fat and bassy or it can get loud -- but probably not both at the same time...unless you're plugging into LOTS of speakers.

15. slobake

Thanks groovaholic. I'm not sure what this means though.

16. B-string

5751 is a lower gain tube than the 12AX7/ECC83/7025 with higher plate current capabilities. It will tame some of the early searing gain in the preamp making it for some more "controllable".

17. BassmanPaul

For me, 50W and headroom would never be in the same sentence when talking bass. :D

18. B-string

It's more like shoulder room :D

19. BassmanPaul

I was thinking more ankle room! :D

20. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

I had one and played it out. It sounded fantastic. But it's not a lot of power, and a fair weight, so best suited these days to guitar or studio use. If you pair one up with a very inefficient speaker (10dB down on a typical guitar speaker) and/or a power soak you can get really good sounds at low volume for recording.

21. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

When I bought mine (now sold) a decade and a half ago it cost me all of $50, and just needed a mild service :)