Has your guitarist ever picked your bass up and played it better than you?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by duo8675309, Mar 22, 2014.

1. duo8675309

duo8675309

The other day I was trying to follow along to whatever chords my keyboardist was randomly playing. When I realized he didn't even know himself I sat my bass down and went to grab a beer out of the fridge. My guitarist then picks my bass up, says "follow me," and counts the keyboardist in. He then plays a pretty sick bassline in the same key and tempo, and for some reason that really got under my skin. Its like here I thought I offered this unique skill to my band, only to realize I'm the only one in the band who isn't multi-instrumental. All I can play is a bass.

2. Nagrom

Nagrom

That's what the woodshed is for.

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

happened to me! :bag:

4. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Yes, all the time.

It's not much of a stretch for a decent guitarist to pick up a bass and sound really good. There are plenty of examples of guitarists in bands playing bass on record.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cnltb

cnltb

7. mcarp555

mcarp555

When he plays your bass and his guitar on stage at the same time, then be concerned.

8. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets, D'addario, Planet Waves
    ^^What he said^^

9. Duckwater

Duckwater

^^^

One guitarist I regularly jam with is pretty good though

10. Shedua511

Shedua511

Disclosures:
    Agent for Scandinavian countries: Stick Enterprises Inc.
    99 % of the time I play fretless bass and Chapman Stick, so it doesn't happen that often :D
    Perhaps this incident can inspire you to pick up another instrument, I promise it will make you a better bass play. When in doubt, choose a piano!

11. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke Supporting Member

Cep't guitarist tend to play bass like a guitar. Like playing licks and fills through the whole song. I did the opposite the other week in practice. Picked up an acoustic and played some really great finger picking. Of course thats all I can really do (besides rhythm) but hey, they didn't know that. +

;):bag::bassist:

12. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

No , but on several occasions I have picked up their guitar and played better than them.:hyper:

13. sound of bass

sound of bass

Our guitar player has played mine a few times...he has 2 of his own basses, as well as a stand up bass. But when he plays it looks like hes trying to strangle the neck,lol his grip is so friggin' tight that you can see his forearm muscles straining! Im surprised he can move his hands at all! In fact thats how he kinda looks playing his guitar,lol. So, my answer would be "No, not yet".

14. slipitin

slipitin

I think the word Different can be confused with Better. Nobody plays your main instrument like you so don't get into a competition in your head.

15. chungweishan

chungweishan

The more important issue is that the guitarist was able to figure out a good bass-riff for a chord progression. I'd concentrate more on that than worry about being a multi-instrumentalist. More ear-training and perhaps some rudimentary chord theory, so it's easier to figure out chord-progressions and create bass-lines.

Also doesn't hurt to learn some guitar. It helps me a lot, because I can usually tell what chords guitarists are playing just by watching their hands.
    ---

I haven't been in that situation... not yet. One former guitarist probably could have, but he was too thrilled about playing guitar (he apparently played bass in previous bands).

16. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    +1

It SHOULD bother you.

17. MrDOS

MrDOS Gold Supporting Member

Not in a LONG time :)

18. thunderstation

thunderstation

It all depends on how the other band members receive you. I play in a band where the rhythm guitarist was a bass player in several bands in his younger years. The keyboardist has a masters in music - picked up my bass one day laid down a reasonably good bass line - the cool thing is they are both very complimentary of my bass playing- and I've gotten better and have found more interesting parts because of their knowledge - now , I have to explain that I've been playing since 1973 and I was 20 but these guys have been playing since they were 8 or 9. the band plays all originals so their lot's of room for creativity - we call it Therapy.

19. chris_b

chris_b

.... but is he going to sound better playing the whole set?

I'd guess not.

20. chris_b

chris_b

Our singer/guitarist depped on bass for a friends band and later he was complaining that he had to play all night!

Apparently as a guitarist he could take a break at certain parts of the numbers but couldn't as a bass player.

21. antonspon

antonspon

Many guitarists can come up with a really sick bassline...but can they keep a simple, effective BASS part going for a whole song without getting bored? Chops is (relatively) easy, but stamina takes practice! ;)